To support our customers who are cleaning or improving their property, Solid Waste & Recycling offers vouchers for disposal of household debris at our South Transfer Station.
Vouchers are for materials from properties within Minneapolis only. Properties outside of Minneapolis are NOT eligible for the voucher program. Minneapolis reserves the right to an on site inspection of the property before approving voucher.
BEFORE you request a voucher:
- Please be sure that the transfer station will accept your items by checking the What To Do List.
- If it is still useable, try to find a reuse or offer it to your family, friends, neighbors or co-workers. Have a garage sale, or give to someone who is having one. You can also donate to your local church, school, or secondhand store. Put out in your yard and mark it "free". For other options, look in the Yellow Pages under "Second Hand Stores".
The voucher program offers the following:
- Six (6) cleanup vouchers per year for disposal of excess garbage, *appliances, or construction and demolition debris.
- Two (2) tire vouchers per year for tire disposal (eight (8) tires per voucher).
A voucher is good for:
- Drop off of one load at the South Transfer Station.
- A maximum weight of 2,000 lbs.
- *A maximum of 2 appliances which, includes electronics, televisions, computers, mattresses or box springs. Additional appliances will be charged at $20 each.
Appointment Is Needed - call (612) 673-2917:
Please have the following information ready:
- The day you want to use the voucher.
- The name of the person dropping off the items on that day.
- An ID showing that you live at the address related to the voucher.
You will be asked what you are planning to get rid of, so we can verity and aid you with the load. You must unload all materials as the transfer station attendant directs. There are several locations for unloading depending on the material you have. See how to prepare your load.
Report Voucher Program Abuse and Illegal Dumping
South Transfer Station and the Voucher Program are a special service to our customers.
For the protection of our paying customers, we have implemented stronger guidelines to prevent driving off without paying, requesting a voucher from another address, or scamming a customer by charging them a fee to haul their items away, but telling the customer they have to request a voucher (This scam is often used on the elderly).
Using another resident's voucher is illegal. City Ordinance 225.10 states in part: "No person shall leave, throw, or deposit, or use or permit any other person to leave, place, throw, or deposit, any substances or materials of any kind at a city solid waste service or collection point for city disposal when the substances or materials were generated at a location other than the residence."
If you see illegal dumping or abuse at the South Transfer Station, or anywhere in the City of Minneapolis, please report it. Write down the license number, vehicle description, person involved in the dumping, and the item that was dumped, and report it by dialing 311, and reporting it to Minneapolis 311 staff. If you wish, your call will remain anonymous.
You could lose this service if it's abused. When residents abuse this program by taking items from friends, family or from other locations or businesses, this service can be canceled. The South Transfer Station staff watches for this abuse and reports it when found. Once removed from this program, voucher reinstatement can only be made by the Director of Solid Waste.
What Happens To These Items?
Most items are processed for hazardous waste and sold to a scrap yard or processing plants.
Last updated Mar. 11, 2014