Recycling Facility Tours
In December 2016, the City entered into a 5 year contract with local zero waste non-profit Eureka Recycling for the processing and sale of recyclable materials. We are happy to share that we are able to offer residents tours of Eureka Recycling’s facility. You can get a glimpse of the facility by watching their Story of a Cereal Box video, or you can sign up for a tour to walk through facility and see first-hand how people and equipment work together to sort your one-sort recyclables back into the various commodities (paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, steel, and aluminum.)
Click here to sign up for a tour. Pre-registration is required.
Eureka Recycling is located at 2828 Kennedy St NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413. Their material recovery facility (MRF) sorts 320 tons of recyclables per day from cities including Minneapolis, St. Paul and several other cities in the Twin Cities metro.
Monthly Tour Dates
Tours are typically offered on the third Tuesday of each month listed below for those who have pre-registered. The tours will begin at 11 a.m. or 3 p.m. and last approximately 90 minutes.
2018 Tour Dates:
- November 20th at 11 a.m. - tour full
- December 18th at 3 p.m. - tour full
2019 Tour Dates:
- February 19, 2019 at 8 a.m.
- April 16, 2019 at 11 a.m.
- May 21st, 2019 at 3 p.m.
- July 16, 2019 at 8 a.m.
- June date to be determined
- August 20, 2019 at 11 a.m.
- September 17, 2019 at 3 p.m.
- October 15, 2019 at 8 a.m.
- November 19, 2019 at 11 a.m.
- December 17, 2019 at 3 p.m.
- For safety reasons, tours are limited to the first 10 people who have signed up. If less than 4 people sign up, the tour may be cancelled.
- Children must be 12 years of age or older.
- A cell phone number for the responsible adult on each tour is required.
- The recycling facility will be in operator when you tour it. For this reason, the facility will be dusty and in certain areas of the tour, the facility floor will contain items such as broken glass, papers and cans that you will be walking around.
- Closed toed shoes are required. Wear clothing you don't mind getting dusty.
- Unfortunately there is no wheelchair access for tours of sorting facility. The tour requires the ability to walk up and down flights of stairs and across metal catwalks to view the sorting equipment.
- This tour is provided for Minneapolis residents only. Non-Minneapolis residents or groups larger than 10 can contact Eureka Recycling directly to schedule a tour.
- Click here to sign up for a tour.
The tour is approximately 90 minutes in length and includes:
- Presentation in Eureka’s education room on what materials are and are not recyclable, the importance of reducing and diverting waste and what happens with your recyclables after they leave Eureka’s facility. The tour group will also be given a safety briefing before going into the facility.
- Tour of sorting facility.
- Time for questions and discussion post tour in the Education Room.
Contact Laura Horner if you have any questions regarding the City scheduled tours of Eureka Recycling at 612-673-3318 or [email protected].
Last updated Nov 13, 2018