One-Sort Recycling Collection
- Recycling is collected every other week. The maximum weight for the 96-gallon large recycling cart and its contents is 200 pounds.
- Your recycling cart must be at your collection point, at the alley or curb line, by 6 a.m. on your collection day each recycling week. To sign up to receive email reminders to place your recycling out at your collection point, visit our Find Your Recycling Day webpage.
- Customers are provided with a recycling cart, either a small or a large cart. City crews deliver and maintain all carts. If your cart is damaged, call Solid Waste & Recycling at 612-673-2917 to request for your cart to be repaired.
- Your collection day is assigned by the Solid Waste & Recycling Division. Routes are created so the Division operates in the most cost-effective way. Look up your collection day.
- In the winter, remember to shovel a 3 foot wide path to your cart, including snow left by the plow. See Snow Shoveling for specific shoveling requirements.
How to Prepare Your Recycling
- Empty and rinse out any containers.
- Flatten all boxes.
- Place recycling loose into your cart. Empty recycling out of paper bags (paper bag may be placed in the recycling cart) and plastic bags (plastic bags must be placed in the trash) to allow for effective sorting at the recycling facility.
- Set your cart out by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
- Place extra recycling that does not fit in your cart in a cardboard box or paper bag next to your cart. Extra cardboard should be flattened, bundled and tied with string or twine. Bundles must be less than 3' x 3' and less than 40 pounds. Call to request an additional recycling cart at no charge.
See Acceptable Recyclables for a detailed list of what all can be placed in your blue recycling cart.
Home Container Labels
Label containers in your home so family, friends and guests know how to properly sort their waste. Stickers are available for Solid Waste & Recycling customers to label your interior recycling, organics recycling, and trash containers located throughout your house. To order stickers to help improve your home collection system, call Solid Waste & Recycling at 612-673-2917 or email your request including the number of each type of stickers you want to [email protected]. If you are not a Solid Waste & Recycling customer, you may request labels, guides and more from Hennepin County at www.hennepin.us/recycleeverywhere.
Our crews cannot pick up your recycling if there is a problem with it. Unacceptable recycling will be marked with a recycling educational tag. If you find a tag, please read it over to understand what the issue with the recycling is, correct the problem, and place your recycling out on your next recycling day.
Some reasons why your recycling may not be picked up include:
- Non-recyclable materials such as garbage and plastic bags were found in the recycling cart.
- Recyclables were contaminated: items must be rinsed before placed in the one-sort cart.
- Recycling cart was not shoveled and free from snow and ice.
- Recycling was not at the pickup area, next to the garbage cart.
- Recycling was not out for pickup on the correct recycling week.
- Recycling cart weighed over 200 pounds
If your recycling cart was removed for contamination, call our office in three months and it will be returned to you at no charge. Collection crews will pick up properly prepared recyclables set out in paper bags or cardboard boxes on your recycling day. There will be a $15 fee to have your cart returned before the three month holding period. To have your cart returned, fill out our Add, Remove, Return or Exchange Cart Form and email it to our office at [email protected] or fax it to 612-673-2250.
Your recycling will be picked up at any time starting at 6 a.m. on your collection day. You may notice your recycling is collected at about the same time every other week. Please understand that changes in weather conditions, crew assignments and equipment problems can change your pickup to earlier or later in the day. Please make sure your recycling is always out by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
If you do not find an educational tag and you believe your recycling was missed, please wait until after 3:30 p.m. on the day of pickup before calling Solid Waste & Recycling at (612) 673-2917. Sorry, but we will not return for recycling if your cart was not out on time.
- Occasional extra recycling may be placed in a cardboard box or paper bag next to your One-Sort recycling cart. Cardboard that does not fit inside the cart should be flattened and bundled with string or twine and placed next to the cart. Bundles or boxes may not weigh more than 40 pounds.
- Items must not fall apart or break when crews pick them up.
- Each bag or box must weigh less than 40 pounds.
- If you place extra recycling in an old curbside recycling bin or other plastic tub, it will be taken by collection crews for recycling and you will not be able to get it back.
- Extra recycling is recorded by the crew, and any household who continually has extra recycling will be assigned another cart. There is no charge for additional recycling carts.
When your collection day falls on or after a holiday, recycling collection will be one day later than normal. See the Holiday Schedule for more information.
Report Misuse of Recycling Service
Recycling collection is a special service to our paying customers only. Taking or using another resident's collection point or cart is illegal. City Ordinance 225.10 states in part: "No person shall leave, throw, or deposit, or use or permit any other person to leave, place, throw, or deposit, any substances or materials of any kind at a city solid waste collection point for city disposal when the substances or materials were generated at a location other than the residence."
If you have any additional questions, please call Solid Waste & Recycling at 612-673-2917 or by emailing [email protected].
Last updated Jan 4, 2019