Recycling Facility Tours
In December 2016, the City entered into a 5 year contract with local zero waste non-profit Eureka Recycling for the processing and sale of recyclable materials. We are happy to share that we are able to offer residents tours of Eureka Recycling’s facility. You can get a glimpse of the facility by watching their Story of a Cereal Box video, or you can sign up for a tour to walk through facility and see first-hand how people and equipment work together to sort your one-sort recyclables back into the various commodities (paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, steel, and aluminum.)
To sign up for a tour, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 612-673-3318. Pre-registration is required.
Eureka Recycling is located at 2828 Kennedy St NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413. Their material recovery facility (MRF) sorts 320 tons of recyclables per day from cities including Minneapolis, St. Paul and several other cities in the Twin Cities metro.
Tours are offered on the third Tuesday of each month listed below for those who have pre-registered. The tours will begin at 11 a.m. or 3 p.m. and last approximately 90 minutes. A tour will be offered at 3 p.m. instead of 11 a.m. four times a year in the months of March, June, September, and December.
2017 Tour Times:
- May 16th at 11 a.m. - tour full
- June 20th at 3 p.m. - tour full
- July 18th at 11 a.m.
- August 22nd at 11 a.m.
- September 19th at 3 p.m.
- October 24th at 11 a.m.
- December 19th at 3 p.m.
- For safety reasons, tours are limited to the first 10 people who have signed up. If less than 4 people sign up, the tour may be cancelled. Those who have pre-registered will be notified at least 24-hours in advance if a tour has been cancelled.
- Larger tour groups may be able to be accommodated by splitting into groups of 10 when going out into the sorting rooms. Please call or email to request tours for larger groups.
- Children must be 12 years of age or older.
- The tour is approximately 90 minutes depending on interest and questions.
- A cell phone number for the responsible adult on each tour is required.
- Closed toe shoes are required.
- Unfortunately there is no wheelchair access for tours of sorting facility. Sorting facility requires ability to walk up and down flights of stairs to see sorting equipment.
- To schedule a tour, email email@example.com or call 612-673-3318.
- Pre-registration is required.
The tour is approximately 90 minutes in length and includes:
- Presentation in Eureka’s education room on what materials are and are not recyclable, the importance of reducing and diverting waste and what happens with your recyclables after they leave Eureka’s facility. The tour group will also be given a safety briefing before going into the facility.
- Tour of sorting facility.
- Time for questions and discussion post tour in the Education Room.
Last updated Apr 25, 2017