Recycling Block Leader
Sign up to be a recycling block leader and help educate your neighbors on waste reduction, reuse, recycling, organics recycling and more! You will receive a "Recycle more. Ask me how." yard sign to place in your yard. The yard sign helps identify you as the expert on your block. As a recycling block leader, you can give as little or as much of your time as you are able.
Requirements for block leaders
- Sharing City recycling updates with your neighbors:You will receive email updates from the City and it is your job to pass this information on to your neighbors. Educational topics will change over time. The 2016 educational priority will be to encourage neighbors to participate in the oranics recycling program and to answer any questions they have on what is acceptable and what is not.
- Make your block's National Night Event low waste: Recycling block leaders will make sure that organics and recyclables are collected at the event, and will encourage the use of reusable, recyclable or compostable items for serving food at the event.
How you choose to share recycling information with your neighbors is up to you. There are a number of ways to reach out to your neighbors. Here are a few suggestions:
- Knock on doors: Knocking on your neighbors' doors is a great way to let people know that you are the Recycling Block Leader, and also a great way to meet your neighbors. We can provide you with educational materials to hand out, like brochures, stickers, yard signs, and more as requested.
- Send email updates: Gather a list of email addresses for your neighbors and send periodic recycling reminders. This list is a great way to send out quick updates about materials that are contaminating recycling and organics carts or to share updates on information that is no longer accepted in the recycling and organics recycling program.
- Attend block club meetings: If your block has regular block club meetings, request to be on the agenda periodically to share recycling information.
- Table at a block party: If your block hosts a block party, have a table with recycling and organics recycling information.
- Post on social media: Post information on Facebook, Twitter, NextDoor and other social media outlets.
- Be creative! Some block leaders may be inspired to develop their own "projects" for the block, and we encourage your creativity! We are happy to help you with brainstorming, and can let you know about different resources that may be available for your project.
What will be provided to Recycling Block Leaders?
Solid Waste & Recycling will provide:
- Email updates that include current recycling rates, events and initiatives
- Tips on how to reach out to your neighbors and tools such as lawn signs and brochures
- Information to help you accurately answer recycling related questions
- Access to knowledgeable staff to help you resolve issues and further educate you about the program
- A guide to plan a low-waste National Night Out event
Click here to sign up to be a Recycling Block Leader.
To learn more about Recycling Block Leaders or to request educational materials contact Solid Waste & Recycling's Program Aide II at 612-673-3318 or SWRcustomer@minneapolismn.gov.
Last updated Apr 17, 2017