General Guidelines - Rental of Containers (Carts) for your Special Events
- Deliver only within the limits of the City of Minneapolis.
- Deliver and pickup is only assigned *Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 am to 4 p.m. *If Monday is a major holiday then containers will be collected on Tuesday.
- Application and payment MUST be received at least 10 days before the date of the delivery.
- Rental cost: $20.00 per container that includes delivery and pick up of conatiners in addition to disposal costs. There are no refunds, as rental is based on the request, not your usage.
- All containers are dropped off and picked up in the same location.
Any special services requested by the applicant should be made before submitting the application and payment. Some requests can be accommodated at an additional cost. Please call (612) 673-5411 for more information.
Planning for your event:
- Rental is not guaranteed so be sure your request will be accepted in your plans.
- Consider what will be served, how it will be served, what you wish to collect and how many people will attend to determine the number of containers to rent. It is recommended to place a recycling bin next to every garbage can. For planning assistance, visit the Green Gatherings website.
- We have no guidelines that can determine your needs. Container (cart) types are listed below. Containers are not emptied during your rental period.
- The event organizer has the right to place containers where needed throughout the event site. All containers must be returned to the same location that we dropped them off so a crew can pick them up.
- You may attach temporary signs to any of the containers, but do not write on or deface the containers as you may be charged a damaged container fee. For printable signs or sign examples, visit Hennepin County's or the Recycling Association of Minnesota's websites.
- Weekend events require the containers to be delivered to a secure location on Friday, with collection from the same location on Monday. Reminder - if Monday is a major holiday, they will be picked up on the following work day. See holiday.
- There are no refunds, unless event is canceled in advance of the delivery.
- Missing Containers: The organizer is responsible for the safekeeping of the containers and will be charged $50.00 per container that is missing and/or damaged.
- Container types are shown below.
(food waste & non-recyclable paper)
*Recycling containers: Have a hole in the top for a quick drop of the cans or bottles. Containers can be used as single collection or you can mix (i.e.: cans, plastic bottles, glass).
At this time we do not track collection weights.
- Complete the Rental Application and
- Email to SWandRSupervisors@minneapolismn.gov, fax to (612) 673-2250, or mail or drop off the application and payment to the address listed on the rental application.
- Make your check or money order payable to: Minneapolis Finance Department. Payment by debit/charge card is not available.
An email contact on the application is important, so we can confirm rental and follow up with our feedback form. This will also help us improve our rental process.
What you can expect from us:
- We will hold your email request until the original application & payment has been received.
- Once payment has been received, you will receive an email confirmation approximately one week prior to the delivery date.
- Confirmation email will include contact information for the Foreman who will process your request. You will be able to contact the Foreman with any additional follow up information or needs, after the application approval.
Once the containers have been delivered:
- Event organizer has the right to place containers where needed throughout the event site.
- Containers must be returned to the orginal drop off location.
- Must be ready for pickup by 7:00 a.m. of the agreed pickup date on the application.
Last updated May. 23, 2013