Reducing Waste at Events
Holding a low waste event doesn’t have to be challenging. There are several best practices for event planning to ensure little waste is generated. Some of these include:
1. Develop a waste management plan as the event is being planned. Be sure to execute the plan during the event.
2. Send online invitations to reduce paper and inform attendees that the event is a low-waste or zero-waste event in the invitation.
3. Use decorations that can be reused. If reuse isn’t an option, choose or make decorations that can be recycled or composted.
4. Request RSVPs from attendees so you can prepare the right amount of food and have the right number of plates, cups, etc.
5. If you can’t use reusable products for serving food, use recyclable or compostable items.
7. Encourage guests to bring reusable containers to take leftovers home.
8. Take photos not only of the event itself, but of the waste generated at the end of the event. If possible, obtain weights from materials collected so you can track how you did and improve during future events.
9. Make sure to write down what worked and what didn’t work well for any future events.
10. Share results with attendees when you send thank-you emails.
Assistance for small events (birthday parties, graduation parties, etc.) to large (block parties, family reunions, conferences, etc.) is available on Rethink Recycling’s website.
Minneapolis Solid Waste & Recycling and Hennepin County have containers available for rent.
· Deliveries must be within City of Minneapolis limits
· Delivery of rental containers is Monday through Friday only between the hours of 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Weekend events require containers to be delivered to a secure location on Friday, with collection from the same location on Monday. If Monday is a major holiday, collection will occur on Tuesday.
· Application and check MUST be received by Solid Waste & Recycling at least 10 days before the date of the delivery.
· Delivery of carts (garbage, recycling, and organics carts), pick up and proper disposal of materials collected is included in the standard rental fee.
· Rental is not guaranteed.
· Only organics and recycling portable recycling containers are available.
· There is no charge for rental, however, a deposit is required.
· Renter must pick up the containers and return containers following the event.
· Renter must dispose of materials collected at the event.
Last updated Nov 1, 2018