Juvenile-Involved Violent Crimes

This interactive graphic requires Adobe Flash v.8 or higher.
Get the free Flash Player from Adobe.com.

If you are unable to update the Flash plug-in on your web browser, or are seeing this message instead of a chart graphic, we apologize. Please use the data view or download the data using the links above.

Why This Is Important

Juvenile crime is playing an increasing role in violent crime rates. Since juvenile offenders frequently become adult offenders, it is critical to have social or criminal justice interventions at the earliest point possible.

What's Being Done

The Minneapolis Police Department (MPD), along with many other City departments, has taken significant steps to address juvenile crime. Key initiatives include:

  • The MPD Juvenile Unit was reopened mid-year in 2006. Since this action, juvenile crime has shown dramatic decreases in the city.
  • The Minneapolis Public Schools fund the Minneapolis police officers assigned as school resource officers. These officers are an ongoing public safety resource for the schools and provide a positive police presence for students.
  • The Juvenile Service Center opened in the summer of 2008 adjacent to the Juvenile Investigations Division of the Police Department. The collaborative efforts of the center provide a safe place for juveniles who have violated curfew and truancy laws. At the center, juveniles receive voluntary assistance and referral services.

About This Measure

Information is gathered from police reports entered into the Computer-Assisted Police Report System (CAPRS). Juvenile Suspect: an individual 18 years of age or younger believed to have committed a crime. Juvenile Arrestee: an individual 18 years of age or younger who commits a crime and is cited or booked into a jail. This also includes age-specific offenses that if committed by adults would not be a crime, such as curfew and tobacco violations, alcohol possession and consumption.

Last updated Feb 21, 2013



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo