Fire Inspection Services
The Fire Inspection Services is a new division of Regulatory Services and its mission is to help reduce the negative impact from fire and other related emergencies through community education, focused hazard mitigation, and code enforcement. The division is charged with issuing key permits related to fire protection and prevention and performing plan review of new and rehabbed properties to ensure safety and adherence to the Minnesota Fire Code.
In addition, Fire Inspection Services works in partnership with the Fire Prevention Bureau of the Minneapolis Fire Department to ensure that commercial properties and high occupancy dwelling units (structures with 4 or more housing units) are safe and meet the requirements of the State Fire Code and local building and/or Housing maintenance codes. Fire Captains conduct the majority of inspections for the residential rental licensing inspections as well as the more routine commercial building inspections.
Finally, Fire Inspection Services conducts regular inspections and issues permits to business owners who have hazardous chemicals or materials stored on their property. This critical program helps ensure the safety of the City’s citizens, employees and our first responders (police, fire, EMS) when they are called to assist.
Fire Inspections Services Information:
- Fire Protection Permits
- Kitchen Hood Exhaust Cleaning Permit
- Special Events Permit / Operational Permit
- Tank Install / Removal / Abandon Permit (pdf)
- Hazardous Materials Permit Application (pdf) - Minneapolis Ordinance, Chapter 174.20 requires every commercial building or structure that stores, uses, or handles hazardous materials to have an annual, renewable, hazardous materials permit.
- Commercial Recycling Ordinance Overview
Last updated Apr. 25, 2012