Ten Year Transportation Action Plan
Access Minneapolis is the City of Minneapolis’ transportation action plan that addresses a full range of transportation options and issues, including pedestrians, bicycles, transit, automobiles, and freight. The purpose of Access Minneapolis is to identify specific actions that the City and its partner agencies (Metro Transit, Metropolitan Council, Hennepin County, Minnesota Department of Transportation) need to take within the next ten years to implement the transportation policies articulated in Minneapolis' Comprehensive Plan.
The six original plan components are:
- Downtown Action Plan – The Downtown Action Plan was approved in 2007.
- Citywide Action Plan – The Citywide Action Plan was approved in 2009.
- Design Guidelines for Streets and Sidewalks – The Design Guidelines were initially completed in 2008 and have been expanded in subsequent years to include more detail on pedestrian facilities, bicycle facilities, and tree/boulevard design.
- Streetcar Planning – The Streetcar Feasibility Study was completed in 2007, and the recommended long-term streetcar network was approved in 2010.
- Pedestrian Master Plan – The Pedestrian Master Plan was completed in 2009.
- Bicycle Master Plan – The Bicycle Master Plan was completed in 2011.
In addition, the Complete Streets Policy builds off and frames the interpretation of Access Minneapolis
- Complete Streets Policy - the Complete Streets Policy was completed in 2016.
Access Minneapolis Plan Assessments, 2017
Since the completion of Access Minneapolis plan components through the last ten years, Public Works has conducted an internal assessment of the six planning documents. The assessments identify and guide areas of focus for the development of the transportation action plan update, which is slated to begin in 2018.
Each plan assessment contains the following:
- Major accomplishments
- Status of action items
- Shortcomings of the plan
- Notable changes since adoption of the plan (internal and external)
- Implication and action items for the update.
The 2017 Access Minneapolis Plan Assessments are available below.
Last updated Dec 18, 2017