Public Works Logo

Public Works
350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

To contact, call 311.

Stormwater Utility Fee FAQ

Why is it important to manage stormwater?

In an urban environment like Minneapolis, hard surfaces like parking lots, sidewalks, and rooftops prevent water from soaking into the ground. This stormwater will "run off" into the City's storm drain system, discharging directly into our lakes, creeks and the Mississippi River. Stormwater runoff also picks up pollutants, trash and debris along the way, which can create health and safety issues for residents and wildlife.

Minneapolis manages stormwater to protect homes & businesses, as well as the environment, lakes, streams & rivers. Gone unchecked, stormwater could cause flooding, erosion and pollution.

What is the stormwater utility fee?

The stormwater utility fee pays for the City's current stormwater system and annual maintenance costs. This helps to prevent and correct stormwater runoff problems in Minneapolis. All properties within City limits (with very few exceptions) are charged a monthly stormwater utility fee. This fee had existed prior to 2005, but was included as part of the combined sanitary sewer/stormwater fee.

Because the stormwater utility fee is a user fee and not a tax, all properties regardless of ownership are required to pay for the services provided by the Minneapolis stormwater management system. This includes non-profit entities such as churches, schools and institutions, as well as properties owned by the City of Minneapolis, the State of Minnesota, and the federal government.

How is the stormwater fee calculated?

The stormwater utility fee is based on impervious area and is charged on a per unit basis. Each ESU ( Equivalent Stormwater Unit) is 1,530 square feet of impervious area on a property. The impervious area is calculated based on the size of the property and how it is currently used. Single family properties are billed using one of the following rates:

Group 1: (less than 1,485 square feet)

0.75 ESU


Group 2: (1,486 square feet to 1,585 square feet)

1.00 ESU


Group 3: (greater than 1,586 square feet)

1.25 ESU


All other properties are billed as follows: Gross Lot Size (in square feet) X Runoff Coefficient (based on land use class) divided by 1,530 square feet equals the number of ESU’s.

What is an impervious area?

Surfaces where water can not flow through freely.  Examples of impervious surfaces include, but are not limited to the following:

This also includes all non-improved (vegetated or grass cover) areas that are used for parking or are driven upon. In an urban environment like Minneapolis, a property’s impervious area is the most significant factor affecting both stormwater quality and quantity.

Is there a way to reduce my stormwater fee?

Yes, stormwater fees can be reduced through the Stormwater Credits Program. This program offer a fee reduction to property owners who use approved methods to manage stormwater runoff on their property. Fees can also be reduced through replacement of excess impervious area (such as unused parking lots) with landscaped green space.

How does the City's Stormwater Credits Program encourage helpful environmental practices?

The stormwater fee incorporates opportunities for property owners to reduce their stormwater bill by taking environmentally friendly steps. Stormwater utility fee reductions (also known as credits) are available to those using or installing stormwater management tools/practices on their properties. Installing rain gardens or impervious pavers allows stormwater to soak into the ground, rather than run into the City's storm sewers.

How can I get a stormwater credit on my utility bill?

Credit guidelines and application forms can be found in the Stormwater Utility Fee section of this website, or you can call (612) 673-2226.

Due to the difficulty of conducting field inspections of Best Management Practices during the winter, the City will not be accepting new stormwater credit applications after December 31, 2018.  The application period will re-open in Spring 2019.  If you have any questions, please contact Danielle Schumerth at 612-673-2226.

Last updated Jan 4, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Salary Compliance Notice:
State statute 471.701; Notice of Salary Compliance, requires that the City post for not less than 90 days
the job title of the three highest paid employees along with their base salary. For 2018 these were:
1. City Attorney, $186,490
2. Assistant City Coordinator Convention Center, $183,600
3. Director Public Works, $181,191


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo