Public Works

350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390

Utility Permits

Permits are required by city ordinance to allow the installation, repair, removal or relocation of a utility which projects onto, under or over any City of Minneapolis public property or right of way. In order to obtain a permit a number of Public Works offices need to review and approve a permit application before a permit can be issued. The repair, removal or relocation of the utility will be at the sole cost of the utility owner.

Right-of-Way User Registration:

A Right-of-Way User Registration Application must be completed by anyone having equipment or facilities located in the right-of-way or by any contractor seeking to perform any work in the right-of-way. Registration must be renewed annually.

Right-of-Way Obstruction Permit:

An Obstruction/Lane Use Permit must be obtained by anyone who may obstruct the right-of-way.

Right-of-Way Excavation Permit:

A Right-of-Way Excavation Permit is required by anyone seeking to excavate in the right-of-way.

Application Requirements:

Application for a permit is made to the Utility Connections Office.

Right-of-way permit applications shall contain, and will be considered complete only upon compliance with the requirements of the following provisions:

a. Permit fees and costs.

b. Prior obstructions or excavations.

c. Any loss, damage, or expense suffered by the city as a result of applicant's prior excavations or obstructions of the rights-of-way or any emergency actions taken by the city.

All information requested on the Right of Way Utility Permit Application Form must be complete in order to process your request. Failure to provide the requested information will result in the rejection of your application or will delay the review and approval process. Your request will be reviewed by Public Works staff to determine which, if any, permits should be granted.

If the permit application is approved, the Utility Connections Office will issue your permit. If your application is rejected, you may either submit a new application with revisions or appeal the denial to the City Council through its Transportation and Public Works Committee.

Street Restoration:

All street removal and restoration will be done to the specifications of the Public Works Department. Use of a fee schedule for Restoration Cost will be paid at the time a permit is approved. In the event that Public Works Department must excavate a larger area then originally permitted, permittee will be billed for change in size.

Repair of the excavated street will be done in a manner which restores the maximum future utilization of the street.

Fee Schedule:

Once your application has been reviewed, each permitting office will inform the Utility Office of the applicable fee which should be collected. The Utility Office will inform you of this amount and will collect the necessary fee’s prior to the issuance of any permits.


Additional Information is available if needed. If you are uncertain about the information we are requesting, please contact the Utility Connections Office.

Utility Connections
(612) 673-2451 (FAX (612) 673-3446)



Last updated Feb 8, 2013



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo