- Minneapolis has experimented with alternative methods for ice control including using molasses and sugar beet solutions for ice melting as a way to reduce the use of salt.
- Minneapolis has retrofitted trucks with automatic stop of salt distribution to limit over-salting when the trucks are sitting in traffic.
- Minneapolis Public Works is an active partner with the Shingle Creek and Minnehaha Creek Watersheds in reducing salt usage along the parkways and streets that drain into these impaired waters.
- Minneapolis has increased its use of new generation sweepers that reduce pollutants and grit.
- Street sweepings are used as daily cover for the Construction Debris landfill located in Monticello.
Last updated Oct. 25, 2011