Nicollet reopened in the fall of 2017 after undergoing a complex multi-year renovation—from the hundreds of thousands of feet in below-ground utilities to the now 1,500 LED lights illuminating the new sidewalks and street.
Designed by James Corner Field Operations with a deep respect for the history, identity and spirit of the place, the reimagined Nicollet retains the famous serpentine curve and offers new flexible spaces to support and enhance the existing outdoor cafes and other street activities.
Generously-scaled and clearly marked walkways, curb-free intersections, new social spaces and destinations that are attractions year-round, and a curated outdoor gallery of public art offer pedestrians the highest quality downtown walking experience.
Native plantings, including more than 240 mostly locally-grown trees provide a green connection between Loring Park and the Mississippi River.
Nicollet Center between 6th and 8th streets offers year-round comfortable seating, shaded by a row of native oak trees and artist-designed lanterns. The two-block-long outdoor corridor of programmable lights known as the Light Walk makes the Center a destination, a spectacular place for the public to gather and participate in a variety of informal and programmed events, festivals, performances and markets.
Nicollet Mall Policy
The Nicollet Mall street is reserved for uses outlined in Minneapolis Code of Ordinances, Chapter 439 and is subject to all applicable traffic laws, regulations and official signs. Closure of the street is governed by special permit pursuant to city ordinances.
Expressly allowed uses and activities:
- Transit vehicles (buses, street car, Metro Mobility)
- Bicycles and Pedi-cabs
- Maintenance of Nicollet Mall
Example of allowed uses requiring a special permit:
- Street closures for special events only
- Permitted service vehicles
Expressly prohibited uses and activities:
- No passenger vehicles, taxis or transit network companies
- No right or left turns from Nicollet (except at Grant, Alice Rainville Place, or Washington)
- Other traffic regulations or uses prohibited by ordinance or state law
Taxis and passenger vehicles:
- Taxis and other passenger vehicles are allowed on Nicollet between Grant and Alice Rainville Place.
Last updated Jun 4, 2018