Utility Billing Inserts Policy
The following policy outlines Utility billing criteria and the process for submitting a utility billing insert proposal. Call the Communications Department, 673-2491, with any questions.
- Message must be relevant to 80 percent or more of the households receiving the insert (80,000), during the month the utility insert is mailed. Examples of messages that may pertain to 80 percent of households that receive utility bills include:
- Snow emergency parking information
- Street sweeping information
- Recycling preparation information
- City of Minneapolis messages that meet criteria will be considered before messages from outside agencies.
- Messages about City business and messages that enhance compliance with or participation in City business will be considered before other messages.
- Message proposals must be submitted four months before delivery. For example, a message for the April insert must be submitted to the Communications Department in January.
- Messages repeating more than once in a 6-month time period will not be considered if new messages that meet all criteria are submitted.
- The Communications Department must screen all inserts before they are presented to the City Council for final approval.
- One 3.5 inch (high) by 8.5 inch (long) insert can be included with each utility bill. Inserts must be of card stock.
- Inserts can weigh a maximum of .2 ounces.
- Message proposals should be submitted to the Communications Department four months before desired delivery month. Proposals must include a letter briefly describing the insert and how it meets utility billing insert criteria and draft content (the Communications Department uses a template for all inserts). Include a billing contact, phone number, email and address. Send proposals to: Elizabeth.haugen(AT)ci.minneapolis.mn.us.
- After screening by the Communications Department, selected proposals are forwarded to the City Council for approval, at least two months before desired delivery date.
- The Communications Department will inform you of the Council approval, or will let you know if changes are required by the City Council. This will happen at least 8 weeks before the delivery date, giving you time to print and deliver the inserts.
- One week before the first day of your delivery month, send 98,000 inserts to:
City of Minneapolis
Copy Center – Room B27
350 South 5 th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Send $1,000 inserting payment to:
Minneapolis Finance Department
250 South 4 th Street – Room 230
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Updated March 9, 2004
Last updated Sep 27, 2011