Social Media Policy
Employees: This policy applies to full and part-time employees, temporary employees, appointed employees, contractors, interns and any person engaged in the performance of work pursuant to the provisions of any federal grant or contract.
This policy communicates the City’s requirements regarding the use of social media and describes how employees should conduct themselves when interacting as City employees on the City’s social media sites and other social media sites.
• Applies to all City of Minneapolis employees.
• Responsibilities for the oversight and management of the City’s official social media sites reside with the Communications Department.
• Social media sites are managed centrally, rather than allowing for individual departments, divisions or work groups to establish official social media sites for their respective department or subject.
• There is a process for departments seeking to establish their own social media sites, and departments receiving approval for their own social media sites will be responsible for their creation and ongoing monitoring and maintenance.
• Employees representing the City on the City’s social media sites must conduct themselves as representatives of the City, be professional and follow the user guidelines in the policy.
Council Approval Date: August 19, 2011
Effective Date: August 19, 2011
Last Revision Date: August 9, 2011
Social Media, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Web, Blog,
Procedures and Forms (Additional content under development)
Sara Dietrich, Communications Director, 612.673.2101
Last updated Mar 15, 2013