This is only an example of a Captain job description – not an official job announcement.
- Manages the operation of a division of the Minneapolis Police Department.
- Directs work and evaluates performance of direct reports
- Plans patrol activities/beats
- Makes assignments
- Develops and monitors budgets
- Inspects sworn personnel, equipment and police facilities
- Instructs personnel in department policies and procedures, and informs of new and/or changes to policies and procedures
- Completes reports on activities occurring in assigned area of responsibility
- Fosters principles of Community-Oriented Policing by creating and maintaining positive relationships with the community, neighborhood organizations and the general public
- Supports the community policing philosophy through the division's activities
- Fosters and maintains a positive workforce environment
- Maintains a close liaison with all divisions of the Police Department, especially the Administration
Applicant must be a permanent employee of the Minneapolis Police Department who currently holds the rank of Police Lieutenant (passed probation period), and who has been certified at that rank for 2 years.
A Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree is desirable but not required.
Be able to mentally and physically perform all essential duties required in this position. After a conditional promotional job offer has been made, all candidates will be required to complete a physical examination. A psychological exam may also be required.
Last updated Sep. 27, 2011