Contact: Matt Laible, 612-673-2786
Study presents paths to cleaner, more sustainable energy options for Minneapolis consumers
Feb. 24, 2014 (MINNEAPOLIS) Today, the Center for Energy and Environment presented the City Council’s Health, Environment and Community Engagement Committee with a report that explores various paths the City could take to achieve its ambitious energy goals. The City of Minneapolis energy system goals include carbon and energy savings, equity of energy services, local economic development and a reliable supply of energy. This report identifies several innovative, pragmatic ways the City can coordinate with its two investor-owned energy utilities, Xcel Energy and CenterPoint Energy, to help meet these objectives.
This action comes as the City prepares to enter into energy franchise negotiations with Xcel Energy and CenterPoint Energy. State law currently limits Minneapolis’ authority over utilities in franchise agreements; however, the City is seeking legislative changes to allow more flexibility to make progress toward its goals.
The study helps frame the future franchise negotiations with Xcel Energy and CenterPoint Energy, as well as the City’s work to get more clean-energy options for consumers. The City currently has utility franchise agreements with Xcel Energy for electricity and CenterPoint Energy for natural gas. These agreements, which were signed in the early 1990s, both expire at the end of 2014.
The report includes:
- A review of the current legislative and legal landscape.
- A description of Minneapolis’ energy vision, developed during the study process.
- An exploration of various pathways that could be pursued to meet Minneapolis’ energy vision and aggressive climate and energy goals.
- Priority programs that the City and utilities could work on together to encourage energy efficiency, renewable energy and a more equitable energy system.
- Recommendations of immediate next steps the City can take to move towards its vision.
The full report is available at www.minneapolismn.gov/energyfranchise/WCMS1P-113782.
# # #
Published Feb 24, 2014