Construction and repair permit office opens on North Side to assist in tornado recovery
The City of Minneapolis has opened an office to make it easier for folks to get the necessary construction and repair permits needed to fix damage to properties following the North Side tornado. The North Side Construction and Repair Permits Office is available beginning June 1 to help homeowners and licensed contractors doing work in the area. The office is located at Hamilton School at 4119 Dupont Ave. N. and will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Staff from Minneapolis Development Review, Construction Code Services, Plan Review, Rental Licensing, and Zoning will be on hand to assist North Side customers in their permitting requests. The office provides the following services:
- Submit applications, get them reviewed and have permits issued for simple construction and repair-related projects. These projects don’t require a more in-depth plan review, however many of these permit applications may need to be made by a licensed contractor, including permit applications for:
- Roofing (repair/replacement)
- Windows/doors (repair/replacement)
- Siding (repair/replacement)
- Stucco/plaster (repair/replacement)
- Masonry/chimney (repair/replacement)
- Plumbing fixtures/water lines (replacement)
- Gas water heater (replacement)
- Water meter (replacement/relocation of existing)
- Gas meter (replacement/relocation of existing)
- Gas appliances – Fireplace, stove, dryer (replacement/install)
- Some projects require a more detailed plan review before permits are issued. These projects include:
- Detached garages
- Retaining walls over 4 feet tall (from bottom of footing)
- Other storm-related construction repair that may require structural engineering
- Assistance with Temporary Rental Licenses
A flyer about the North Side Construction and Repair Permits Office will be available at Farview Park and from city staff and volunteers who are out in the community. For more information on who can apply for a permit, what you should bring for your permit submittal, and which projects do not require permits, visit the Minneapolis Development Review website.
Many construction and repair projects will require a licensed contractor. A complete list of licensed contractors in Minneapolis is also available.To confirm the license status of a licensee, or to file a complaint, please call 311 or the Business License Division at (612) 673-2080.
The Minneapolis Development Review main office, located at 250 South 4th Street – Room 300 in downtown Minneapolis, will also be open during regular business hours for storm-related permitting assistance.
Published May 31, 2011