Tornado response update- restricted zones on the North Side
This morning the Minneapolis Police Department in cooperation with other City departments has developed an exclusion zone in the hardest hit areas of North Minneapolis into which only residents will be allowed once the areas are considered to be safe.
Currently crews are in the area repairing gas leaks, clearing roads, locating and neutralizing downed power lines and assessing the damage to buildings. This work will continue through the day until it is complete. As such it is necessary to prohibit all access to a block until that block is considered safe. Once a block is considered safe residents of that block can enter the area through one of the designated checkpoints.
Checkpoints are located at the following intersections:
- 42 Avenue North and Lyndale Avenue North
- Dowling Avenue North and Lyndale Avenue North
- Lowry Avenue North and Lyndale Avenue North
- 26th Avenue North and Fremont Avenue North
- West Broadway and Fremont Avenue North
- Penn Avenue North and Golden Valley Road
- Oak Park/ Thomas Avenue North
- Golden Valley Road and Xerxes Avenue South
- Penn Avenue North and 12th Avenue North
- Penn Avenue North and 26th Avenue North
- Penn Avenue North and Lowry Avenue North
- Penn Avenue North and Dowling Avenue North
- 42nd Avenue North and Humboldt Avenue North
Non-residents will not be permitted into the exclusion zone until such time as City services can support such traffic. Persons who attempt to enter the exclusionary zone prior to areas being opened, attempt entry without going through an authorized checkpoint or who are non-residents can be charged with a misdemeanor under Minnesota State Statute 12.45. These restrictions are in place to ensure the safety of everyone.
Only residents will be allowed to enter after the areas have been cleared of major hazards. Anyone in the North Minneapolis area should be aware that emergency responders have found quantities of small debris that have damaged numerous vehicle tires. There are barricades outside of the exclusion zone. These are in place to exclude traffic from areas in which roads are impassable or hazards exist.
Minneapolis schools in the exclusion zone
The Minneapolis Public School District has informed the Minneapolis Police Department that the following schools in the exclusion zone will be closed Monday, May 23:
- Lucy Laney
- City View
- Nellie Stone Johnson
- Hmong International Academy
- Plymouth Youth Center
No school buses will be able to enter the exclusion zone as many roadways are still impassable.
I-94 exit ramps on Northside to remain closed until further notice
As many main thoroughfares on the Northside are impassable the following exits from northbound I-94 will be closed starting at 5 a.m.:
- Broadway/Washington Avenue
- Dowling Avenue
- 49th Avenue North /53rd Avenue North
It is unknown when these off ramps will re-open. All on ramps onto I-94 are unaffected.
Some Metro Transit bus service will also be affected. Please consult Metro Transit for those changes.
Published May 23, 2011