"We Want You Back" brings its message to homes throughout the city
On Saturday, September 11, Minneapolis volunteers will come together for the city-wide "We Want You Back" door knocking event. Campaign co-chairs, Superintendent Bernadeia Johnson and Mayor R.T. Rybak, will kick off the morning and afternoon door knocking efforts with a rally, beginning at 8:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Volunteers expect to reach out to 2,000 young people and give them options to get on the path to graduation and come home to Minneapolis Public Schools. Below is the We Want You Back day of action schedule:
- 8:30 a.m. - Morning Rally at the Park and Recreation Board Headquarters (2117 West River Road) Special guests include MN State Representative Jim Davnie and DJ Snuggles
- 9 a.m. – Volunteer training
- 10 a.m. – Door knocking
- 12:30 p.m. - Afternoon Rally at the Park and Recreation Board Headquarters (2117 West River Road) Special guests include U.S. Representative Keith Ellison and DJ Snuggles
- 1 p.m. - Volunteer training
- 2 – 4 p.m. - Door knocking
We Want You Back has designated two locations, Wilder Placement Center (3345 Chicago Avenue) and Broadway Alternative School (1250 W Broadway) to be open from 10 a.m. - 4p.m. at which un-enrolled students can visit to enroll in an education program on the spot. Volunteers also plan to visit various community locations, including the Midtown YMCA and Oak Park Playground.
For mor information visit www.wewantyoubackmpls.org.
Published Sep. 10, 2010