Make sure your contractor or tree company is licensed
Minneapolis Regulatory Services officials are advising property owners who experienced property damage from the storm on Wednesday, Aug. 19, to hire only licensed tree service companies and building contractors. The City and state make it easy for you to find out if a company has the proper licenses.
Tree contractors - It’s important to make sure the tree company you use is licensed, because unlicensed companies may not be insured for damage they might cause to your property, and their workers may not be trained properly to protect themselves and your property from damage. Here are some things residents should know when choosing a tree company:
- To find out if a tree service contractor is licensed in Minneapolis, visit the City's business licensing page or call 311. To confirm the status of a new licensee or to file a complaint, call 311.
- A licensed contractor must submit a copy of a written estimate must to the property owner for approval prior to any work to be performed.
- Licensed Tree Service contractors have marked vehicles and display a City of Minneapolis license decal.
- Licensed Tree Service contractors maintain insurance in the event of damage to your property, your neighbors’ property, or if anyone is injured on the job site.
- In addition, the City requires that each tree service company hire at least one employee who has a current certification as an arborist or a college degree in urban forestry or arboriculture. This ensures the company is educated in plant health, pests and pathogen control, and other aspects of urban forestry.
Building contractors - Anyone performing remodeling, repairs, roofing, and other similar work on residential dwellings must be licensed. Licensed construction professionals are insured and bonded, and obtain building permits which allow inspections of the work performed to ensure that it is done correctly. The State of Minnesota provides a list of State Licensed building contractors.
August 20, 2009
Published Aug. 20, 2009