Make sure your contractor or tree company is licensed

Minneapolis Regulatory Services officials are advising property owners who experienced property damage from the storm on Wednesday, Aug. 19, to hire only licensed tree service companies and building contractors. The City and state make it easy for you to find out if a company has the proper licenses.

Tree contractors - It’s important to make sure the tree company you use is licensed, because unlicensed companies may not be insured for damage they might cause to your property, and their workers may not be trained properly to protect themselves and your property from damage. Here are some things residents should know when choosing a tree company:

Building contractors - Anyone performing remodeling, repairs, roofing, and other similar work on residential dwellings must be licensed. Licensed construction professionals are insured and bonded, and obtain building permits which allow inspections of the work performed to ensure that it is done correctly. The State of Minnesota provides a list of State Licensed building contractors.

August 20, 2009

Published Aug 20, 2009



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo