Go green, save green at your National Night Out block party
When planning for your block party, go green to save money, use up fewer resources and throw away less garbage. You might not even need to buy any new supplies.
- Use reusable plates, cups and utensils so you’re not throwing away and buying new every time. If you don’t have enough plates or cups, ask neighbors to bring their own.
- Save decorations to use again next year.
- Recycle the bottles, cans and other recyclables from the party. Set out bins or bags and label them to make it easy.
- Whenever possible, use e-mail instead of paper to get information to your neighbors.
- Incorporate local food from farmers markets or your own garden. Local food is fresher and easier on the environment because it doesn’t have to be shipped here.
For more ideas, visit the Minneapolis zero-waste event by recycling, reusing and composting.
July 30, 2009
Published Jul 30, 2009