Todays tip -
Don’t keep ‘em guessing
If you’re going to be away from the office for vacation, conference attendance or another reason, be sure to turn on your Out of Office Assistant so folks trying to reach you don’t wonder why you haven’t responded to their email.
1. Within Outlook, click on Tools
2. Then click on the Out of Office Assistant
3. Type a message in the AutoReply text box
4. Right before you leave, check circle that says, "I am currently out of the office."
5. That’s all you have to do to ensure that people who email you get an automatic reply.
Sample AutoReply message
Here’s an example of a message you could adapt for placement in your AutoReply text box:
I am out of the office until __ (day), ___ (date). While I am gone, I will not be checking my email. If you need assistance before __ (date), please contact ___ (name of coworker) at (612) 673-___ (coworkers extension) or firstname.lastname@example.org (coworker’s email address). Thank you for your patience.
When you return to work and open your email, Outlook will automatically remind you that the Out of Office Assistant is on and prompt you to turn it off.
Please note: These instructions apply only to Microsoft Office 2003 – the version employees currently have on their computer. In the coming months, the City will be switching to Microsoft Office 2010 and the Out of Office Assistant process will change.
Aug. 17, 2011
Published Aug 17, 2011