Learn and earn with three new health and wellness classes
You have three new topics to choose from in the list of free health and wellness classes offered to City employees. By choosing to take a health and wellness class, you’ll learn about an area that interests you and that can help improve your health while earning 50 points for your Medica scorecard.
This class will teach you how to recognize the symptoms of work-related musculoskeletal and nerve injuries and prevent these types of injuries. You’ll get an overview of the ergonomic factors that affect you and your daily work.
The ergonomics class will be held in the first floor conference room of the Towle Building:
- 9 a.m.-10 a.m. Friday, June 20
- 1 p.m.-2 p.m. Tuesday, June 24
- 9 a.m.-10 a.m. Thursday, July 10
- 1 p.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday, July 16
The basics of bicycling for transportation
This class will teach you bicycle commuting skills. Participants will learn tips about:
- Riding a bike as a vehicle.
- Keeping safe.
- Riding comfort.
- Getting into and around Downtown.
The bicycling class will be held in Room 101 in the City of Lakes Building:
- Noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, June 25
- Noon to 1 p.m. Thursday, July 24
Choosing wisely: Getting the most out of your health care
This class will teach you how to make smart and effective care choices and how to save on health care costs by avoiding unnecessary medical tests and procedures.
The health care class will be held in Room 319 of City Hall, noon to 1 p.m., Thursday, July 17.
The other health and wellness classes offered are:
- Wellness and you
- Healthy eating: getting started
- Fitting fitness into your busy day
- Stress management 101
- Natural energy boosters
Learn more about the other health and wellness classes offered. Please note: You may only earn points for one health and wellness class, but you may take as many classes as you want.
Your Medica scorecard will automatically reflect your 50 points for attending a health and wellness class. (It could take up to six weeks for the points to appear in your scorecard.)
When you earn 300 points toward your My Health Rewards by Medica program by Aug. 31, you’ll get a discount on your 2015 health insurance premiums. (In 2014, savings averaged $400 a year for a single person and $1,200 a year for a family.)
How to enroll
To enroll in a health and wellness class:
- Log into HRIS.
- Click “Learning and Development” (left side of screen).
- Click “Search Catalog” and type the course title (for example, “Ergonomics training,” “Basics of bicycling for transportation” or “Choosing wisely: Getting the most out of your health care”).
- Click the course title then “View Details” to check for available seats.
- Click “Enroll” then “Submit Enrollment.”
Published Jun 9, 2014