Workshop offers opportunity to polish your writing and editing skills
Staff from the Communications Department will lead a two-hour writing workshop developed to help employees polish their writing and editing skills. The free workshop — “Writing and editing for City staff” — is 9:30–11:30 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 26, in Room 101, City of Lakes building, 309 Second Ave. S.
Workshop topics include:
- Identifying the key message.
- Tailoring the message to your audience's needs and interests.
- Writing for the medium (newsletter, report, website, memo, etc.).
- Using the “inverted pyramid” to organize your information.
- Ensuring complete information with the five W's and H.
- Rewriting to draw in your readers: using plain language and active voice, cutting distractions.
- Editing and proofing for meaning, clarity, readability and credibility.
- Checking punctuation, capitalization and grammar (subject-verb agreement, parallel structure, etc.)
- Using the City of Minneapolis style manual.
The Sept. 26 workshop is full, and registration has closed. If you wish to be notified of future workshops, please email email@example.com.
Published Sep 18, 2013