Incorrect account settings mean you can’t access your HRA/VEBA funds

All employees who have medical insurance through the City have an HRA/VEBA account which can be used to pay for eligible health care expenses. If you want to access your HRA/VEBA account funds, you need to change your account setting from the default setting of “Save It” to “Spend It” If you don’t change the setting to “Spend It,” you won’t be able to access your HRA/VEBA account with your WageWorks debit card or through the claims reimbursement process.

How to change the setting to access your HRA/VEBA account

To change your account setting to “Spend it,” visit and make the change on your online account or call WageWorks at 855-428-0446.

If you are accessing only your FSA account, there is nothing else you need to do.

If you want to access only your flexible spending account, but don’t want reimbursement from HRA/VEBA, there is nothing else you need to do.

WageWorks automatically uses your Flexible Spending Account first so that these “use it or lose it” dollars can be spent. Your account is automatically set to save — not use — these dollars. (That way, the money in your account is saved for future expenses or retirement health care costs.)

About your FSA and VEBA accounts

FSA Accounts (Flexible Spending Accounts) are optional accounts employees set up during open enrollment to set aside money, before taxes, to pay for eligible health care expenses. These are “use it or lose-it” accounts — any money that is not used by the annual deadline is forfeited.

HRA/VEBA Accounts (Health Reimbursement Arrangement/Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Association) are not “use it or lose-it” accounts. Funds in your HRA/VEBA account can be carried over from one year to the next. Funds in this account come from deposits the City of Minneapolis makes to help you cover out-of-pocket health care expenses.


Published Mar 13, 2013



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo