Take advantage of Fire Prevention Week to think about fire safety at home
October 7 - 13 is National Fire Prevention Week, and the Minneapolis Fire Department is teaming up with National Fire Prevention Association to urge you to “Have Two Ways Out” of every room in the house if a fire happens. This year’s theme focuses on the importance of fire escape planning and practice.
The Minneapolis Fire Department recommends the following tips for planning your family’s escape:
- Make a map of your home. Mark a door and a window that can be used to get out of every room.
- Choose a meeting place outside in front of your home. This is where everyone can meet once they’ve escaped. Draw a picture of your outside meeting place on your escape plan.
- Have an adult sound the smoke alarm and practice your escape plan with everyone living in your home.
- Keep your escape plan on the refrigerator and practice the plan at least twice a year.
- For more information about fire safety and fire prevention visit http://www.minneapolismn.gov/fire.
As part of National Fire Prevention Month, the Minneapolis Fire Department is participating in a number of events to help folks learn fire safety tips and understand the importance of having smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers throughout their home.
In addition to helping participants learn about staying safe, the events offer a great opportunity for families and kids to get an up-close look at fire trucks and other firefighting equipment.
Wednesday, Oct. 10, 5 – 9 p.m.
Nicollet Island Pavilion, 40 Power Street
The Minneapolis Fire Department will have a fire truck on hand for tours. Fire Department staff will also talk about fire safety, provide free blood pressure checks and answer questions.
National Safety Weekend event
Saturday, Oct. 13 and Sunday, Oct. 14, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. (both days)
10 W. Lake St.
The Minneapolis Fire Department will have a fire truck on hand and will also be distributing fire safety information. There will also be free safety-related product giveaways and the opportunity to meet with the Minneapolis Police Department and many other public safety agencies.
Fire Station Open Houses
Saturday, Oct. 20, 1 – 4 p.m.
- Station 5, 2700 Bloomington Ave. S.
- Station 6, 121 E. 15th St.
- Station 20, 4646 Humboldt Ave. N.
- Station 22, 3025 Market Plaza
During the open houses, firefighters will show visitors their fire trucks and equipment, discuss their jobs, and share fire safety tips.
Published Oct 10, 2012