Flu shots and whooping cough boosters offered at worksite vaccination clinics
Worksite vaccination clinics are making it convenient for employees to get a flu shot as well as a whooping cough (pertussis) booster. The shots are available at no additional cost to employees covered by the City’s Medica health insurance plan.
No reservations are required; all clinics are first-come, first-served. The clinics are offered by Medica and the Minnesota Visiting Nurse Agency.
Vaccination Clinic Schedule
Police Special Operations Center - 4119 Dupont Ave. N.
Tuesday, Sept. 18 from 8 - 10 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 4 from 2:30 – 4:30 p.m.
Public Works/ Fleet Services - 1200 Currie Ave. N. (Training Room)
Tuesday, Sept. 18 from 12:30 – 3:30 p.m.
CPED Crown Roller Mill building - 105 Fifth Ave. S. (Suite 200)
Thursday, Sept. 20 from 8 – 10 a.m.
Public Works/ Solid Waste & Recycling - 2710 Pacific Street
Tuesday, Sept. 25 from 6 – 7:30 a.m.
Minneapolis Public Housing Authority - 1001 Washington Ave. N. (Board Room)
Thursday, Sept. 27 from 1 – 4 p.m.
City Hall - 350 S. 5th St. (Room 132)
Friday, Sept. 28 from 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Minneapolis Convention Center - 1301 Second Ave. S. (Room 213 AB)
Wednesday, Oct. 3 from 7 – 8:30 a.m.
Public Works/ Water East Yard - 935 Fifth Ave. S.E. (conference room)
Friday, Oct. 5 from 7 – 8 a.m.
Minneapolis Parks and Recreation - 2117 West River Road N. (2nd floor Board Room)
Tuesday, Oct. 9 from 10 a.m. – noon
Public Works/Traffic Shop - 300 Border Ave. N. (lunchroom)
Thursday, Oct. 11 from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Public Works/Hiawatha Facility - 1901 E. 26th St. (
Tuesday, Oct. 16 from 7 – 9 a.m.
Fire Station 6 - 121 East 15th Street)
Wednesday, Oct. 17 from 10 a.m. – noon
Thursday, Oct. 18 from 10 a.m. – noon
Friday, Oct. 19 from 10 a.m. – noon
Why get vaccinated
Getting vaccinated is the best way to avoid the flu’s fever, aches and fatigue as well as the dangerous complications that can cause pneumonia or land you in the hospital. This year’s seasonal flu vaccine will also protect you for the H1N1 flu strain (swine flu).
Due to the higher incidence of pertussis/whooping cough in the community, the pertussis vaccine (Tdap) will also be available at the flu shot clinics. (Please note: There will not be as many Tdap vaccine doses as flu vaccine doses at the clinics, so Tdap availability is not guaranteed.)
What to bring to the vaccination clinic
1. Proof of insurance (your Medica insurance card, a photocopy of the front of your Medica card OR proof of coverage under another insurance plan accepted by Minnesota Visiting Nurse Agency).
2. A photo ID (driver’s license or employee ID badge).
What to wear to the vaccination clinic
· Wear clothing that allows access to your upper arm.
No cost to most employees
· There is no cost to City employees who are covered by Medica. Medica covers the full cost of the flu shot or Flu Mist as well as the Tdap vaccine without deductibles or co-pays.
· The Minnesota Visiting Nurse Agency also accepts other medical insurance. If you are covered by another insurance program, bring your insurance card.
· Without insurance, the fee is $29 for the flu shot or $32 for the Flu Mist. (Make checks payable to the Minnesota Visiting Nurse Agency.) Without insurance, the cost of the Tdap vaccine is $60.
Additional information about the vaccine clinics
Family members may receive flu shots if they are covered under the employee’s City health insurance or other accepted insurance, and they are at least three years old. Children between six months and two years must be seen by their primary provider, or may be scheduled at the MVNA office (www.mvna.org ).
The Minnesota Visiting Nurse Agency will not give seasonal flu shots to people who have:
- A severe allergy to eggs or other vaccine components.
- Had a serious allergic reaction or other problem after getting an influenza vaccination.
- A fever or active infection at the time of the vaccination.
- A history of Guillain-Barré Syndrome.
For more information, check the Health & Family Support website at http://www.minneapolismn.gov/health or call the department at 612-673-2301.
Insurance accepted for the seasonal flu shot from:
- Flu Mist: America’s PPO, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Health Partners, Humana, Medica and Preferred One.
- Flu Shot: America’s PPO, Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Health Partners, Humana, Labor Care, Medica, MCHA-Medica, Medicare, MHP, MN Health Care (MA), Preferred One, Select Care, UCare, Unicare and United Health Care.
Links to additional documents
Published Sep 12, 2012