Today’s tip – How to make your National Night Out event greener
Folks planning National Night Out events can save money, use fewer resources and throw away less garbage by trying some of these tips for a greener block party:
- Use email instead of paper to get information to neighbors.
- Use reusable plates, cups and utensils. Planners who don’t have enough plates or cups can ask neighbors to bring their own.
- Serve local, healthy food from farmers markets or ask neighbors to donate extra produce from their gardens.
- Provide condiments in bulk containers instead of single-serving packets.
- Provide beverages in large containers or pitchers.
- Ask participants to bring tap water or a beverage of their choice in a reusable water bottle or other drinking container.
- Have a recycling container on hand to collect any bottles or cans brought to the gathering.
- Save decorations to use again next year.
- Compost leftover vegetable and fruit scraps.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for your neighbors’ help – that’s the spirit of National Night Out. For more ideas, visit www.rethinkrecycling.com/events.
- Take your commitment even further with a zero-waste event by recycling, reusing and composting everything – and throwing nothing away. For more information about zero waste, visit www.minneapolismn.gov/solid-waste/solid-waste_garbage-zero-hero.
Published Jul 31, 2012