Minneapolis mayor and council sworn into office
The new Minneapolis mayor and council members have now been formally sworn in, and the new Minneapolis City Council has started its work for 2014. Following today’s inauguration ceremony, the council voted to name Barbara Johnson as council president and Elizabeth Glidden as council vice president. The City Council also approved a slate of standing committees and committee leadership.
Seven new council members officially joined the City Council today: Jacob Frey in Ward 3, Blong Yang in Ward 5, Abdi Warsame in Ward 6, Alondra Cano in Ward 9, Lisa Bender in Ward 10, Andrew Johnson in Ward 12 and Linea Palmisano in Ward 13. They join six returning council members: Kevin Reich in Ward 1, Cam Gordon in Ward 2, Barbara Johnson in Ward 4, Lisa Goodman in Ward 7, Elizabeth Glidden in Ward 8 and John Quincy in Ward 11.
As part of its organizational meeting, the City Council also established a new standing committee system:
- The Claims Committee, chaired by Lisa Goodman, will consider claims filed against the City and appealed from the Staff Claims Committee for reimbursement for injury, property loss or auto damage resulting from fault or liability of the City. Committee members will include John Quincy as vice-chair, Kevin Reich, Cam Gordon, Barbara Johnson and Elizabeth Glidden.
- The Committee of the Whole, chaired by Elizabeth Glidden, is responsible for setting and approving policy changes related to the City’s vision, goals and strategic directions; considers major enterprise-wide initiatives and programs; and receives reports relating to biannual resident and employee surveys. The committee includes all 13 council members.
- The Community Development & Regulatory Services Committee, chaired by Lisa Goodman, oversees all matters related to housing, economic development, employment, and training of City residents. It also approves license applications for business, liquor, beer and wine, gambling, and rental dwellings. Committee members will include Jacob Frey as vice-chair, Kevin Reich, Abdi Warsame, Alondra Cano and John Quincy.
- The Elections & Rules Committee, chaired by Jacob Frey, is responsible for all matters related to elections and election administration and the City Council’s procedural rules. The committee includes all 13 council members.
- The Health, Environment & Community Engagement Committee, chaired by Cam Gordon, has oversight of policies and service delivery related to public health and social service programs, develops programs to promote a sustainable city, champions energy and environment issues, and provides direction and coordination on a host of neighborhood and community engagement initiatives. Committee members will include Andrew Johnson as vice-chair, Jacob Frey, Elizabeth Glidden, Alondra Cano and Lisa Bender.
- The Intergovernmental Relations Committee, chaired by Elizabeth Glidden, considers proposed legislation at federal, state, regional and local levels; sets legislative priorities for the City including the development of annual federal and state legislative platforms; provides local approval for legislation passed by the State; and considers amendments proposed to the City of Minneapolis charter. Committee members will include Alondra Cano as vice-chair, Jacob Frey, Barbara Johnson, John Quincy and Andrew Johnson.
- The Public Safety, Civil Rights & Emergency Management Committee, chaired by Blong Yang, has oversight of policies and service delivery related to public safety and emergency management, including the Police and Fire departments, and is responsible for setting and approving policies and programs for the Civil Rights Department. Committee members will include Cam Gordon as vice-chair, Kevin Reich, Barbara Johnson, Abdi Warsame and Linea Palmisano.
- The Taxes Committee, chaired by Abdi Warsame, is responsible for reviewing and approving recommendations made by the Minneapolis Board of Appeal & Equalization related to the classification and valuation of property within the city. The committee includes all 13 council members.
- The Transportation & Public Works Committee, chaired by Kevin Reich, has oversight of infrastructure improvements, traffic and traffic-management issues, special service districts and related assessments, bicycle and pedestrian plans and initiatives, recycling and solid waste disposal issues, and is responsible for considering appeals relating to block events and encroachment permits. Committee members will include Linea Palmisano as vice-chair, Cam Gordon, Blong Yang, Elizabeth Glidden and Lisa Bender.
- The Ways & Means Committee, chaired by John Quincy, is responsible for setting and overseeing enterprise financial policies and procedures and for reviewing and approving the expenditure of public funds. Committee members will include Elizabeth Glidden as vice-chair, Blong Yang, Lisa Bender, Andrew Johnson and Linea Palmisano.
The Zoning & Planning Committee, chaired by Lisa Bender, is responsible for decisions relating to zoning and planning functions in the city, including text and map amendments to the zoning code, applications for property rezonings, applications for vacations of streets or alleys, historic designations or variances and waivers from land use moratoria. Committee members will include Andrew Johnson vice-chair, Kevin Reich, Barbara Johnson, Abdi Warsame and Lisa Goodman.
Two subcommittees were also established under the jurisdiction of the Ways & Means Committee: The Budget Subcommittee, chaired by John Quincy and including all 13 council members, will be responsible for considering budget proposals submitted by Mayor Betsy Hodges; the Information Technology Policy Subcommittee, chaired by Andrew Johnson, will oversee enterprise technology investments, policies and operational matters.
More information about City Council committee meetings and the 2014 meeting schedule is online at www.minneapolismn.gov/council.
Published Jan. 6, 2014