MnDOT closing Park and Portland Avenue bridges for reconstruction May 6
Beginning Monday, May 6, the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) will start the reconstruction of the Park Avenue and Portland Avenue bridges over Interstate 94 just south of downtown Minneapolis. This project will require both bridges to be closed from Monday, May 6 until early August.
Drivers in Minneapolis will also encounter overnight weeknight and weekend delays and detours on Interstate 94 and Interstate 35W as MnDOT crews close the roadway to redeck the Park Avenue and Portland Avenue Bridges spanning the two freeways.
- At 10 p.m. Monday, May 6 eastbound I-94 between the I-35W/94 split and Highway 55 will close.
- At 10 p.m. Tuesday, May 7 northbound I-35W between westbound Highway 65 and Park Avenue will close.
- At 10 p.m. Wednesday, May 8 southbound I-35W between Highway 55 and Franklin Avenue will close.
- At 10 p.m. Thursday, May 9 westbound I-94 between Highway 280 and Highway 65 will close.
All lanes will re-open by 5 a.m. on the following day.
During the reconstruction project there will be the following detours:
- Park Avenue traffic will be detoured to Chicago Avenue and back via Franklin Avenue and 17th Street
- Portland Avenue will be modified into a two way street between Franklin Avenue and 18th, and between 17th and 15th streets
- During the highway closures, traffic will be detoured to westbound and eastbound Interstate 694, Highway 280 and northbound and southbound Interstate 35W
For more information about the project visit www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/parkandportland.
Published May 3, 2013