Air pollution health alert issued for metro area for Feb. 26
The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) has issued an air pollution health alert for the metro area through midnight for Tuesday, Feb. 26. The alert was issued for the Twin Cities because fine particle pollution has reached levels considered unhealthy for sensitive groups (air quality value between 101-150). Fine particle concentrations are expected to remain elevated through Tuesday morning. As wind speeds increase this afternoon, air quality conditions are expected to improve.
Those who have respiratory or cardiovascular problems, young children, the elderly, and individuals whom are physically active are considered especially sensitive to elevated levels of air pollution. Be prepared to postpone or reduce vigorous activity. Ozone and fine particles can be drawn deeply into the lungs, so reduce activities that lead to deep or accelerated breathing. Even individuals that are otherwise healthy may experience health effects when air pollutant levels increase.
How you can help:
Residents can take simple steps to help reduce emissions that create smog. Motor vehicle emissions contribute to fine particle pollution. To lower levels of air pollution, the MPCA is urging residents to use alternate modes of transportation such as mass transit, car pools, biking and walking to work or shop.
Other measures that will help reduce emissions on days when the Index reaches 100 and above include:
1. Limit driving - share a ride to work and postpone errands until the next day.
2. Don’t idle your vehicle for more than three minutes**
3. Refuel your vehicle after 6 p.m.
4. Leave your car at home and walk, bike, carpool or take public transportation whenever you can.
5. Postpone using other gasoline-powered engines, like garden and recreational equipment.
6. Postpone indoor and outdoor recreational fires.
7. To reduce the demand on power plants, turn off as many electric items as possible.
8. If you fall in the sensitive group category, arrange to work indoors for the day.
**The City of
**The City of
Published Feb. 26, 2013