Join City of Minneapolis leaders, the Minneapolis Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs and Carry-on Homes for a celebration of Minneapolis’s vibrant immigrant and refugee communities as part of Welcoming America’s national Welcoming Week, Friday, September 21, 2018 from 3:30-7:00 p.m. at The Commons park area outside of the Vikings stadium.
- Share the Welcoming Week Celebration event on Facebook here.
- Visit the Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs Homepage
Performers and Art
The event will feature music, dance, spoken word, interactive art, soccer, voter registration, food trucks and more. City leaders and staff will be on hand.
Performances will include:
- Spoken word from Ifrah Mansour, Lula Saleh and Bryan Thao Worra
- Performance artist La Curandera (Xochi de la Luna)
- Dancers from Kalpulli Yaocenoxtli, part of Indigenous Roots Cultural Arts Center.
- Dancers from the Somali Museum of Minnesota.
- Traditional Thai Manorah dance, in collaboration with Asian Media Access.
- Ribbon dance, in collaboration with Asian Media Access.
- Thai Drum Dance both in collaboration with Asian Media Access.
- Guzheng musical performance by Jarrelle Barton.
- The Wellstone Dance Crew.
Among many others.
The participatory art installation "Carry-on Homes" is the winner of the 2018 Creative City Challenge. “Carry-on Homes” is a multi-functional pavilion that explores the stories of immigrants in Minnesota. It is also a place where individuals come together to explore the concept of home through public events and performances. The Creative City Challenge is a Program of the Office Arts, Culture and the Creative Economy, presented in collaboration with Northern Lights and The Commons.
Welcoming Week is a national celebration where participating cities and counties schedule events recognizing the contributions and importance of immigrants to our communities. Get-togethers, readings, potlucks and sporting events are some ways that municipalities choose to celebrate and show welcome to our immigrant and refugee community members.
Read more about Welcoming Week on the Welcoming America website: WelcomingAmerica.org
425 Portland Ave. S.
(Near US Bank Stadium, a.k.a. the Vikings stadium)
Pictured: Wall of journeys,
Contact the Director of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs, Michelle Rivero, at 612-673-3737 or via email to [email protected].
Whether you are a naturalized citizen, born in the US or recently arrived, come share your culture, learn about and show support for the cultures of others, and demonstrate that Minneapolis is a Welcoming City.
Last updated Sep 20, 2018