Update: City Budget Implications for Neighborhoods
On Monday, December 13, 2010 the Minneapolis City Council passed the 2011 City Budget. The passage of the 2011 City Budget has significant implications for neighborhoods. Over the next several weeks, the Neighborhood and Community Relations (NCR) Department, the Neighborhood and Community Engagement Commission (NCEC) and the Neighborhood Revitalization Program (NRP) will be further assessing the impact of the budget action on individual neighborhoods. In the meantime, I wanted to reassure all neighborhoods that there will be operating support for your work in 2011.
2011 Community Participation Program and neighborhood operating Support: th, 2010 meeting. Eligible expenses can be incurred starting January 1 st, 2011. The Community Participation Program was developed by the NCEC the NCR Department using unprecedented community engagement with neighborhood organizations to inform the process. The Community Participation Program provides funding to support community participation and capacity needs for neighborhood organizations starting Jan, 2011. These guidelines direct how $3,000,000 will be provided to established Minneapolis neighborhood organizations for neighborhood-determined community participation. The submission packages for this program will be sent to neighborhood organizations within the next couple of days under a different cover. In the meantime, the program guidelines and neighborhood allocations can be found online. The department and commission adhered to the City's seven core principles of community engagement in developing this program.
Budget Implications for NRP funds:
- Neighborhoods will be able contract up to 50% of their Phase II allocation.
- Neighborhoods that have contracted more than 50% of Phase II allocations will not be able to contract more Phase II funds.
- Phase I funds, whether allocated or contracted, are not affected.
- Neighborhoods in Phase I can still develop and implement a Phase II plan and contract up to 50% of their Phase II allocations.
- Existing NRP/City/neighborhood contracts will be honored.
2012 and 2013:
December 17, 2010
Published Dec. 17, 2010