Zoning & Planning Committee Agenda
Standing Committee of the City Council, Minneapolis, Minnesota
November 21, 2013 – 9:30 a.m.
Room 317, City Hall
Members Present: Gary Schiff (Chair), Lisa Goodman, Cam Gordon, Barbara Johnson, Kevin Reich, Meg Tuthill
Referred from City Planning Commission (10/28/2013)
1. Assisted Living Facilities (Zoning Code Text Amendment):
Subject matter of the following ordinances amending Title 20 of the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances relating to recognizing board and care home facilities, nursing home facilities, and assisted living facilities as allowed uses in additional commercial zoning districts:
a) Chapter 520 relating to Introductory Provisions; and
b) Chapter 548 relating to Commercial Districts.
2. Broadway Flats (2220 West Broadway and 2413, 2419, 2423, 2425, 2503, 2507 and 2511 Penn Avenue North and a portion of 2512 Queen Avenue North):
Approve the following petitions from Dean Rose, Rose Development, LLC, (Ward 5):
a) Rezone the properties located at 2413 and 2419 Penn Avenue North from the OR2, High Density Office Residence District, to the C3A, Community Activity Center District;
b) Rezone the properties located at 2423, 2425, 2503, 2507 and 2511 Penn Avenue North and a portion of 2512 Queen Avenue North from the R5, Multiple-family District to the C3A, Community Activity Center District; and
c) Vacate the entire 12-foot wide alley located within Block 1, Wenz Addition to Minneapolis, subject to the retention of easements in favor of Xcel Energy and CenturyLink.
3. Church of St. Anne - St. Joseph Hien Parking Lot Expansion (2215, 2219 and 2223 26th Avenue North and 2527 Penn Avenue North):
Approve petition by Steve Minn with Lupe Development Partners, LLC, on behalf of the Church of St. Anne – St. Joseph Hien, to rezone the properties located at 2215, 2219, and 2223 26th Avenue North and 2527 Penn Avenue North from the R4, multiple-family District to the R5, Multiple-family District (Ward 5).
Appeals from City Planning Commission (10/28/2013)
4. Church of St. Anne - St. Joseph Hien Parking Lot Expansion (2215, 2219 and 2223 26th Avenue North and 2527 Penn Avenue North):
Appeal filed by Steve Minn with Lupe Development Partners, LLC, on behalf of the Church of St. Anne - St. Joseph Hien, specifically related to conditions of approval that were added to the Conditional Use Permit and Site Plan Review approvals for the properties located at 2215, 2219 and 2223 26th Avenue North and 2527 Penn Avenue North from the R4, Multiple-family District to the R5, Multiple-family District (Ward 5):
a) Conditional Use Permit to allow an expansion of an existing parking lot serving an institutional/public use, approved with the following condition:
1) The curb cut for the existing alley on 26th Avenue North shall be closed. The sidewalk and green boulevard shall be repaired.
b) Site Plan Review for an expansion of a principal parking facility located at 2508, 2512, 2516, 2520, 2524, 2526 and 2538 Queen Ave N, 2215, 2219 and 2223 26th Avenue North and 2527 Penn Avenue North, approved with the following conditions:
1) The curb cut for the existing alley on 26th Avenue North shall be closed. The sidewalk and green boulevard shall be repaired; and
2) The landscaping requirements of Chapter 530, Site Plan Review shall be met on site, however, in addition to the boulevard trees shown on the plans, a total of 20 canopy trees need to be provided on site.
5. Seed Academy/Harvest Preparatory School (1401-1427 8th Avenue North):
Appeal filed by Mr. Tyrone Terrill, dba Seed, Inc., from the decision of the Planning Commission, notwithstanding staff recommendations, denying the following applications to allow a 98-space surface parking lot to serve the Seed Academy/Harvest Preparatory School at the property located at 1401-1427 8th Avenue North (Ward 5):
a) Conditional Use Permit to construct an additional 98-space surface parking lot;
b) Variance to increase the maximum allowed parking requirements; and
c) Site Plan Review to allow a 98-space surface parking lot.
6. 129 Plymouth Development (129 Plymouth Avenue North):
Appeal filed by Plymouth & Second, LLC, from the decision of the Planning Commission denying all land use applications associated with the 129 Plymouth development located at 129 Plymouth Avenue North (Ward 5 & 7):
a) Conditional Use Permit to allow a shopping center;
b) Conditional Use Permit to allow a fast food restaurant;
c) Conditional Use Permit to allow an accessory parking lot within the DP Downtown Parking Overlay District;
d) Variance to exceed 20 surface parking spaces within the DP Downtown Parking Overlay District; and
e) Site Plan Review for a new principal non-residential building.
1. Burnished concrete block shall be used in lieu of rockface concrete block on all elevations except the back of the building.
2. The trash enclosure shall be made out of burnished concrete block.
3. There shall be no areas of the building over 25 feet in length and blank.
4. There shall be lights located near every building entrance.
5. There shall be at least 15 percent windows along the east wall of the building.
6. Planters cannot be placed so as to narrow the sidewalk to less than four feet.
7. All landscaping requirements shall be met on site per Chapter 530, Site Plan Review.
8. Wood mulch shall be used in all landscape areas.
9. There shall be no more than 21 surface parking spaces on the site.
10. There shall be no more than 173 sq ft of signage on the Second Street North side of the building unless a variance is applied for.
11. No signage shall be located on the south side of the building unless a variance is applied for.
12. Approval of the final site, elevation, landscaping and lighting plans by the Department of Community Planning and
13. All site improvements shall be completed by December 6, 2015, unless extended by the Zoning Administrator, or the permit
may be revoked for non-compliance.
14. The conditional use permit shall be recorded with Hennepin County as required by Minn. Stat. 462.3595, subd. 4 before building
permits may be issued or before the use or activity requiring a conditional use permit may commence. Unless extended by
the zoning administrator, the conditional use permit shall expire if it is not recorded within one year of approval.
Next Committee Meeting: Monday, December 9, 2013
Committee actions will be referred to the next Council Meeting: December 6, 2013
Attention: If you need this material in an alternative format, please call (612) 673-3737 or email [email protected]. Deaf and hard-of-hearing persons may use a relay service to call 311 agents at (612) 673-3000. TTY users may call (612) 673-2157 or (612) 673-2626.
Attention: If you have any questions regarding this material, please call 311 or (612) 673-2046. Hmong – Ceeb toom. Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais cov xov no rau koy dawb, hu 612.673.2800; Spanish – Atención. Si desea recibir asistencia gratuita para traducir esta información, llama 612.673.2700; Somali – Ogow. Haddii aad dooneyso in lagaa kaalmeeyo tarjamadda macluumaadkani oo lacag la’ aan wac 612.673.3500.
The City of Minneapolis invites and encourages participation by every resident to each program, service and event within our city. Should you require an accommodation in order for you to fully participate, or should you require this document in a different format, please let us know by contacting 311 or (612) 673-3000 at least 5 days prior to the meeting.
Last updated Feb 5, 2014