Zoning & Planning Committee Agenda
Standing Committee of the City Council, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Thursday, March 22, 2012
9:30 a.m. - Room 317 City Hall
NOTE: All cellular telephones, pagers and electronic devices to be switched to a non-audible function during Council and Committee meetings.
Committee Members Present: Schiff, Tuthill, Goodman, Johnson, Gordon, Reich - 6 (quorum 4)
Council Committee Coordinator: Anissa Hollingshead (612) 673-2296
1. Centerpoint Energy (Aldrich Ave N & Bryant Ave N south of Linden Ave W):
Approve vacation of portions of subject streets subject to easements currently utilized as a parking lot (Ward 7).
2. Walker Branch, Hennepin County Library (2880 Hennepin Ave):
Approve vacation of the north-south alley not previously vacated adjacent to the subject property (Ward 10).
3. Land Use Application, Inspection and Subdivision Fees (Zoning Code Text Amendment):
Approve ordinances amending Title 20 of the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances relating to Zoning Code and Title 22 relating to Land Subdivision, (amending land use application, inspection and subdivision fees), as follows:
a) Chapter 525 relating to Administration and Enforcement; and
b) Chapter 598 relating to Land Subdivision Regulations.
Staff Report: Fees ZCTA Report
Action Taken: Approved
4. City Walk Uptown (1312 Lake St W):
Approve vacation of 22 feet of Lagoon Ave right-of-way currently used by a surface parking lot at the subject property (Ward 10).
5. Sarah Dietrich (3032, 3034 and 3038 30th Ave S):
Approve vacation of part of an unplatted alley west of the subject properties (Ward 9).
6. Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity (2200-2212 Irving Ave N):
Approve vacation of the south half af the alley in the block bound by Girard Ave N, Irving Ave N, 22nd Ave N, and 23rd Ave N adjacent to the subject properties (Ward 5).
City Planning Commission 1/23/2012
7. Urban Agriculture Policy Plan (Zoning Code Text Amendments):
Consider ordinances amending Title 20 of the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances relating to Zoning Code, (to implement the policies of the Urban Agriculture Policy Plan), as follows:
a) Amending Chapter 520 relating to Introductory Provisions;
b) Amending Chapter 530 relating to Site Plan Review;
c) Amending Chapter 535 relating to Regulations of General Applicability;
d) Amending Chapter 536 relating to Specific Development Standards;
e) Amending Chapter 537 relating to Accessory Uses and Structures;
f) Amending Chapter 541 relating to Off-Street Parking and Loading;
g) Amending Chapter 543 relating to On-Premise Signs;
h) Amending Chapter 546 relating to Residence Districts;
i) Amending Chapter 547 relating to Office Residence Districts;
j) Amending Chapter 548 relating to Commercial Districts;
k) Amending Chapter 549 relating to Downtown Districts; and
l) Amending Chapter 550 relating to Industrial Districts;
and return chapters 525, 527 and 551 to author.
Staff Report: Urban Ag ZCTA Rpt, Urban Ag Ordinance Text, CPC Public Hearing Minutes, Staff Memo
Action Taken 3/1/2012: Postponed one cycle to 3/22/2012.
Potential amendments presented to the committee 3/1: Tuthill 1, Tuthill 2, Tuthill 3, Gordon 1, Gordon Staff Direction
Action Taken: Approved with the following amendments:
Direction to staff to ensure that the application for a Temporary Use Permit for a Farmstand include a requirement that prospective Farmstand operators notify near neighbors, neighborhood groups and council offices, and that the contact information for the operator of the Farmstand be visible on the outside of the Farmstand during operation.
Amending the Chapter 535 ordinance by striking the existing proposed language in 535.360 (8) and inserting in lieu thereof:
(8) Farmstands may be allowed as a temporary use provided that such temporary farmstand shall only sell products grown onsite and shall not exceed a duration of fifteen (15) days in one (1) calendar year. Such sales shall be limited to between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
Amending the Chapter 537 ordinance by adding language to Section 537.110 relating to hoop houses after subsection (5) to read as follows:
(6) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 537.50, the maximum height of a hoop house or other structure used solely to extend the growing season for food or ornamental crops shall not exceed six and one half (6 1/2) feet accessory to single and two-family dwellings and multiple-family dwellings having three (3) or four (4) dwelling units and twelve (12) feet accessory to all other uses. The use shall not exceed the maximum height for any accessory structure as specified in section 537.50.
Amending the Chapter 535 ordinance in Table 535-1: Permitted Obstructions In Required Yards, striking the existing proposed language in the section "Type of Obstruction" and inserting in lieu thereof:
Raised planting bed, not exceeding three (3) feet in height. In a front or corner side yard raised planting beds shall not be closer than five (5) feet to a front or corner side property line. Raised planting beds shall be constructed of wood, brick, masonry, landscape timbers, metal, ceramic, or synthetic lumber and shall be compatible with the principal structure and adjacent residential properties. Raised planting beds constructed of wood shall be structurally sound and free of rot. In addition, prefabricated raised planting beds shall be permitted. Raised planting beds shall not be constructed of wire, chicken wire, rope, cable, railroad ties, utility poles, tires, plumbing fixtures or any other similar materials.
Amending the Chapter 536 ordinance by adding language to Section 536.20, in alphabetical order, to read as follows:
Anaerobic Digester Facility. All anaerobic digester facilities shall provide the following with any application for conditional use permit:
(1) A vicinity plan that includes the following:
a. A description of natural features, including streams, rivers, lakes, wetlands and major topographical features located within three hundred fifty (350) feet of the site.
b. A description of the proposal and how it compares to land uses within three hundred fify (350) feet of the site.
c. A description of any potential environmental hazard due to existing or proposed land uses, including soil, water and air contamination.
(2) An air quality plan describing stationary and mobile source air emissions, their quantities and composition, and indicating conformance with all applicable air quality regulations.
(3) A dust management plan describing dust emission sources, their quantity and composition, and how dust will be collected, managed and disposed of, and indicating conformance with all applicable sound and noise regulations.
(4) A sound attenuation plan describing sources of sound and indicating conformance with all applicable vibration regulations.
(5) A vibration dampening plan describing sources of vibration and indicating conformance with all applicable vibration requirements.
(6) A drainage plan for stormwater management and runoff.
(7) A landscape plan showing compliance with the requirements of Chapter 530, Site Plan Review.
(8) A traffic plan describing the number of truck trips the proposal will generate and the principal access routes to the facility, including a description of the facility's traffic impact on the surround area.
Amending Table 550-1 to add Anaerobic digesters to allowed specific industrial uses in the I3.
Referred by the City Council 3/8/2012
8. Parking Lot Limitations (Zoning Code Text Amendment):
Subject matter of an ordinance amending Title 20, Chapter 551 of the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances relating to the Zoning Code: Overlay Districts, (considering additional limitations on parking lots in the Pedestrian Oriented Overlay District in the Nicollet and Franklin Areas).
Recommended Action/Action Taken: Referred to CPED/Planning Division Staff.
Attention: If you need this material in an alternative format please call Ahmed Muhumud at (612) 673-2162 or email [email protected]. Deaf and hard-of-hearing persons may use a relay service to call 311 agents at (612) 673-3000. TTY users may call (612) 673-2157 or (612) 673-2626.
Attention: If you have any questions regarding this material please call 311 or (612) 673-2046
Hmong - Ceeb toom. Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais cov xov no rau koj dawb, hu (612) 673-2800;
Spanish - Atención. Si desea recibir asistencia gratuita para traducir esta información, llama (612) 673-2700;
Somali - Ogow. Haddii aad dooneyso in lagaa kaalmeeyo tarjamadda macluumaadkani oo lacag la’ aan wac (612) 673-3500.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please contact [email protected].
Last updated Mar 29, 2012