Ways & Means/Budget Committee Agenda
Standing Committee of the City Council, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Regular Meeting - Adjourned from November 8, 2013
November 12, 2013 – 8:45 a.m.
Room 317, City Hall
Members Present: Betsy Hodges, Elizabeth Glidden, Diane Hofstede, Gary Schiff, Meg Tuthill
Members Absent: Sandy Colvin Roy
1. Legal Settlements:
Approve the following legal settlements and authorize to execute documents necessary to effectuate settlement:
a) Lori Olson v. City of Minneapolis by payment of $25,000;
b) Travelers Indemnity Company v. City of Minneapolis by payment of $10,350;
c) Brian Arradondo v. City of Minneapolis by payment of $163,000;
d) Darryl Robinson v. Mark Lanasa, et. al., by payment of $15,000 with some non-monetary consideration;
e) Xcel Energy by payment of $137,747.96 from Excel Energy to the City of Minneapolis;
f) Steven Meldahl v. City of Minneapolis by adjustment of the following special assessments:
1) Cancellation of Assessment No. 10-0761439, 2500 Humboldt Avenue North ($6,948.00);
2) Cancellation of Assessment No. 11-0873675, 3743 Bryant Avenue North ($694.75);
3) Cancellation of Assessment No. 11-0874827, 3723 Fremont Avenue North ($150.00);
4) Cancellation of Assessment No. 11-0873932, 3103 Logan Avenue North ($150.00);
5) Cancellation of Assessment No. 1211442304, 723 Newton Avenue North ($513.23);
6) Cancellation of Assessment No. 310863311, 2946 Colfax Avenue North ($159.77);
7) Reduction of Assessment No. 1211447318, 810 Newton Avenue North
($343.96 reduced by $84 resulting in an assessment of $259.96)
2. Billboard Display Time Donation:
Accept donation of digital billboard space from Clear Channel Outdoor for the purpose of communicating Snow Emergency information.
3. Public Service Announcement Broadcast Time Donation:
Accept donation of broadcast airtime from Comcast Cable for public service announcements.
4. Window Washing Services:
Accept low bid OP 7850 and authorize to execute contract with Columbia Building Services for window washing services for the Minneapolis Convention Center, for a total estimated annual expenditure of $90,000. Vendor agrees to extend pricing for two (2) additional years after 2014. No additional appropriation required.
5. Escalator Modernization:
Accept low bid OP 7858 and authorize to execute contract with Kone, Inc., for the escalator modernization project for units 1-10 at the Minneapolis Convention Center, for a total estimated annual expenditure of $1,809,000. No additional appropriation required.
6. City of Minneapolis 311 System:
Authorize to execute a new three-year contract with KANA Software Inc., for support, maintenance and hosting services for the 311 Lagan system, not to exceed a total of $1,200,000 for three years and to include two one-year options to extend the contract. No additional appropriation required.
7. City of Minneapolis Roaming WiFi System:
Authorize to extend contract C-28422 with Novarum Inc. for an additional three years, through October 2016, for the City of Minneapolis roaming WiFi system and increase the contract by $50,000 for a new total not to exceed $410,000. No additional appropriation required.
8. Unisys Managed Services:
Authorize to increase contract C-25200 with Unisys by $750,000 for additional change orders anticipated for managed services in 2014.
9. RFP for Managed Information Technology Services:
Authorize to issue a Request for Proposals for managed Information Technology services for 2015 and beyond, pending Permanent Review Committee review and approval.
10. Grass, Weeds and Plants Nuisance Abatement:
Authorize to execute amendment to contract C-35923 with Over the Top, extending the contract to December 31, 2013, and extending the service to the north district for grass, weeds and plant nuisance abatement services under the same terms and conditions as currently in place for the south district. No additional appropriation required.
11. Hazardous Tree Removal:
Authorize to execute amendment to contract C-36408 with Wilson Custom Tree, increasing the contract by $100,000 for a new contract total of $200,000 for hazardous tree removal and disposal services. No additional appropriation required.
12. Property Tax Special Assessment of Delinquent Utility Charges:
Approve the special assessment of delinquent utility charges with adoption of the assessment roll.
Referred by Regulatory, Energy & Environmental Committee
13. Inspections Division, 2013 Special Assessment Levies:
a) Approve the maximum levy amounts for the following levies in accordance with preliminary levy listings:
• Levy 1080 - Removal of Offensive Matter (Rubbish) - $365,257.45
• Levy 1081 - Removal of Offensive Matter (Weeds) - $239,821.50
• Levy 1084 - Removal of Offensive Matter (Hazardous Trees) - $66,366.00
• Levy 1085 - Removal of Offensive Matter (Brush and Plant Growth) - $126,977.75
• Levy 1086 - Inoperable Vehicle Tow Administrative Fees - $4,500.00
• Levy 1089 - Unpaid Administrative Citations (Housing) - $310,140.00
• Levy 1090 - Unpaid Administrative Citations (Lead) - $5,060.00
• Levy 1092 - Emergency Demolition of Property - $45,226.00
• Levy 1095 - Chapter 249 Building Demolition - $202,140.96
• Levy 1096 - Vacant/Boarded Housing Registration - $2,438,748.00
• Levy 1097 - Re-Inspection Fees (Housing) - $60,750.00
• Levy 1098 - Securing of Buildings (Police Board Up) - $121,415.44
• Levy 1099 - Securing Abandoned Buildings - $44,638.00
• Levy 1120 - Sewer Overflow - $192,500.00
• Levy 1121 - Unpaid Administrative Citations
(Const Code Services, Un-Permit Work) - $15,540.00
• Levy 1122 - Unpaid Administrative Citations (Housing) - $10,950.00
• Levy 1124 - Unpaid Administrative Citations (Environmental) - $1,320.00
• Levy 1125 - Unpaid Administrative Citations (Const Code Services) - $55,520.00
• Levy 1126 - Unpaid Administrative Citations (Fire Inspection Services) - $24,585.00
• Levy 1160 - Nuisance Abatement - $25,455.64
• Levy 1162 - Unpaid Administrative Citations (Nuisance-Housing) - $384,125.00
• Levy 1163 - Unpaid Administrative Citations (High Occupancy Dwelling) - $2,420.00
• Levy 1165 - Unpaid Administrative Citations (Zoning) - $39,360.00
• Levy 1176 - Re-Inspection Fees (Zoning) - $14,950.00
b) Authorize Regulatory Services to continue receiving pre-payments until November 30, 2013, as allowed by law, at which point the final levy list will be sent to the Director of the Hennepin County Property Taxation Department; and
c) Direct the Director of the Hennepin County Taxation Department to place assessments against certain properties to defray the cost of work performed under authorization of Regulatory Services to correct nuisance or hazardous conditions on these properties.
Referred by Transportation & Public Works Committee
14. Hennepin County Road Maintenance Agreement:
Authorize negotiation and execution of a Road Maintenance Agreement between Hennepin County and the City of Minneapolis effective January 1, 2013, through December 31, 2015.
15. 2014-2017 Public Works Consulting Pool:
Authorize execution of a Master Service Agreement with each of the 32 successful firms for the Public Works Consulting Pool. The length of the agreement will be from February 15, 2014, to February 14, 2017, and limited to a maximum of $2,500,000 with a maximum fee per scope of services (project) of $500,000.
16. Capital Project Close-Outs:
a) Receive and accept the final costs of various Capital Projects and Programs thereby closing the projects;
b) Adjust capital appropriations to reflect the project close-outs;
c) Reallocate excess revenue and bonds to other Capital projects; and
d) Request concurrence of the Board of Estimate and Taxation in the reallocation of already issued Net Debt Bonds and cancellation of authorization of $70,000 unissued Net Debt Bonds.
17. Car Sharing Pilot Program Contract:
Authorize execution of a two-year agreement with Neighborhood Energy Connection, dba HOURCAR, for the Car Sharing Pilot Program.
18. Organized Collection Contract:
Authorize negotiation and execution of a contract with Minneapolis Refuse, Inc. (MRI) for the collection of garbage, recycling, problem materials, mattresses, and yard wastes for approximately one-half of the City’s dwelling units for a five-year term from February 1, 2014, through January 31, 2019.
19. Alley Assessment Policy:
a) Adopt a policy to assess construction and reconstruction of alleys against all benefitting property owners using an Annual Uniform Alley Construction Rate of 25% of the estimated cost to reconstruct an average alley, with all costs above that to be paid for with Net Debt Bonds or other local sources;
b) Amend the Unpaved Residential Alley Paving Program to reflect the new policy; and
c) Establish the 2014 Alley Construction Rate at $0.26/sq.ft.
20. Cooperative Development Agreement:
a) Authorize negotiation and execution of a Cooperative Development Agreement with M.A. Mortenson Company for professional design services, demolition, and construction related to a City-owned Skyway and re-connection to the proposed Hampton Inn & Suites Hotel site located at 19 8th St. N. The City shall pay for said work in an amount not to exceed $425,000 to be paid from the Parking Fund (07500-685-HAWT); and
b) Authorize negotiation and execution of an Amendment to a 1992 Skyway Easement Agreement for purposes of memorializing termination of the original skyway contemplated therein, and restating and revising the 1992 terms to reflect a new skyway schematic.
Notice: A portion of this meeting may be closed to the public pursuant to MN Statutes Section 13D.03 or 13D.05
Next Committee Meeting: December 3, 2013
Committee actions will be referred to the next Council Meeting: November 12, 2013
Attention: If you need this material in an alternative format, please call (612) 673-3737 or email [email protected]. Deaf and hard-of-hearing persons may use a relay service to call 311 agents at (612) 673-3000. TTY users may call (612) 673-2157 or (612) 673-2626.
Attention: If you have any questions regarding this material, please call 311 or (612) 673-2046. Hmong – Ceeb toom. Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais cov xov no rau koy dawb, hu 612.673.2800; Spanish – Atención. Si desea recibir asistencia gratuita para traducir esta información, llama 612.673.2700; Somali – Ogow. Haddii aad dooneyso in lagaa kaalmeeyo tarjamadda macluumaadkani oo lacag la’ aan wac 612.673.3500.
The City of Minneapolis invites and encourages participation by every resident to each program, service and event within our city. Should you require an accommodation in order for you to fully participate, or should you require this document in a different format, please let us know by contacting 311 or (612) 673-3000 at least 5 days prior to the meeting.
Last updated Feb 5, 2014