CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS
CIVILIAN POLICE REVIEW AUTHORITY
Regular Monthly Board Meeting
6:00 p.m. Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Minneapolis City Hall, Martin Luther King, Jr. Conference Room - 241
350 Fifth St. S. Minneapolis, MN 55415
Board members present: Robert Briscoe (Chair), John Cetta, Nicholas Cichowicz, Al Giraud, Patrick Kvidera, Mary Pargo and Vernon Wetternach (Vice Chair)
Board members absent: Lorna Pettis
Also present: Michael K. Browne, Assistant Director
Joel Fussy, Assistant City Attorney
Sherman Patterson, Mayor’s Aide
- Call to Order and Roll Call
1. At 6 p.m., Chair Briscoe called the meeting to order. Lorna Pettis absent.
- Approval of Agenda
1. Director Giraud moved to approve, motion seconded. Motion unanimously approved.
- Approval of Minutes
1. Vice Chair Wetternach moved to approve, motion seconded. Motion unanimously approved.
1. Board Chair’s Report
i. Chair Briscoe asked Board Director Giraud to write a letter to nominated Police Chief Harteau inviting her to attend a regular CRA Board meeting. Letter to be forwarded and distributed by the Civil Rights Department.
2. Assistant Director’s Report
i. AD Browne introduced himself to the CRA Board. Some changes in the monthly report, and other standard CRA documents, have occurred per the new legislation that went into effect August 1, 2012.
ii. Discussion: The new hearing panel recommendation template.
3. Committee Report
- New Business
- Discussion: Hearing Panel assignments: the Department will work with Board Directors to complete a revision of the schedule due to time conflicts.
- Director Cetta proposed a resolution to the Board.
- Director Cetta moved the resolution be open for discussion, motion seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
- Discussion: Director Giraud will submit his own proposal changes to the Public Safety, Civil Rights & Health Committee, including audits of individual cases at all stages. Director Giraud recommends amending #11 to “review and audit any complaint throughout the entire process and present its findings to the committee of Public Safety, Civil Rights & Health.” Director Cetta accepts Giraud’s proposed language as #12 instead of amending #11. Giraud accepts. The language will now read “…shall audit any complaint throughout the entire process and report its findings to the committee of Public Safety, Civil Rights & Health, the City Council, Civil Rights, and Mayor.”
i. Director Cetta moved to have Chair Briscoe and Board Director Giraud present this new proposal as amended at the public hearing on September 12, 2012 at 1:30 p.m. in the event Director Cetta is unavailable to attend the public hearing. Motion seconded .Motion passes unanimously.
- Old Business
- Director Kvidera inquired about the response from the Mayor regarding the letter the CRA Board sent to him. Sherman Patterson said the Mayor’s aide will get in touch with AD Browne about the status of the response.
- Director Giraud inquired about whether the AD of the CRA can dismiss a case without going through the current CRA Board dismissal ACA. Joel Fussy said the matter was resolved last month in a closed session.
- Director Giraud moved the CRA Board request an opinion from the City Attorney’s Office regarding whether the CRA AD can dismiss a complaint without going through the CRA Board dismissal process. Motion seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
- Public Invitation
Invitation to interested persons to address the CRA on matters on and not on the agenda (each speaker is limited to a three-minute presentation, or as determined by the chair)
1. Chuck Turchick addressed the Board about them bringing up their proposal to the PSC&H Committee. Dave Bicking addressed the Board about the letter from NACOLE about the proposal comparisons. Michelle Gross also addressed the Board about them bringing up their proposal to the PSC&H Committee.
2. Director Kvidera that moved Board Director Giraud , on behalf of the Board, write a letter to the Chair of PSC&H and request equal time as the Department of Civil Rights to present his ad hoc CRA Board proposal. Motion seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
Director Giraud moved to adjourn, motion seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
Last updated Sep. 21, 2012