Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission
4:30 p.m., Tuesday, August 20, 2013
Room 317, City Hall
350 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1385
Commission Membership: Ms. Laura Faucher, Mr. Alex Haecker, Ms. Susan Hunter Weir, Ms. Ginny Lackovic, Mr. Chad Larsen, Ms. Linda Mack, Mr. Robert Mack and Mr. Ian Stade
Committee Clerk: Julie Biesemeier 612-673-3965
Commissioner Linda Mack & Ian Stade were absent.
The meeting was called to order at 4.36 p.m.
Minutes were approved for the meeting held on August 6, 2013.
1. 219 2nd Street North, Northwestern Glass Company, Mpls Warehouse Historic District
(BZH #27769, Ward 7) (Hanauer) This item was continued from the June 18 and July 23, 2013 Heritage Preservation Commission meetings.
Alex Haecker, with AWH Architects, has submitted a Certificate of Appropriateness application on behalf of 219 LLC, the property owner. The Certificate of Appropriateness application is to allow for a rehabilitation of the Northwestern Glass Company Building that includes the following proposed work: enlarge window openings and install new windows on a secondary elevation, new signage, repointing of masonry, and paint removal on secondary elevation brick. The Northwestern Glass Company Building at 219 2nd Street North is a contributing structure to the Minneapolis Warehouse Historic District.
Action: The Heritage Preservation Commission adopted the findings and approved the certificate of appropriateness to allow the proposed rehabilitation project of the Northwestern Glass Company Building located at 215-219 2nd St N, subject to the following conditions:
- By ordinance, approvals are valid for a period of two years from the date of the decision unless required permits are obtained and the action approval is substantially begun and proceeds in a continuous basis toward completion. Upon written request and for good cause, the planning director may grant up to a one year extension if the request is made in writing no later than August 20, 2015.
- Community Planning and Economic Development staff shall review and approve the final plans and elevations prior to building permit issuance. By ordinance, all approvals granted in this certificate of appropriateness shall remain in effect as long as all of the conditions and guarantees of such approvals are observed. Failure to comply with such conditions and guarantees shall constitute a violation of this certificate of appropriateness and may result in termination of the approval.
- New mortar shall duplicate the original mortar’s composition, color, texture, joint width, and joint profile. When completing the repointing work, abrasive cleaning techniques, such as sandblasting or high-pressure water wash shall not be used. A waterproof coating shall not be applied to the masonry.
- Glazing within new and restored windows shall be clear. Low E and other energy-efficient glazing is acceptable if it is not reflective or tinted.
- On the east elevation, the proposed window openings on the 3rd and 4th floors of the 9th bay shall match the height of the typical window opening on the third and fourth floors of the east elevation. The window opening on the 3rd floor of the 6th bay, shall match the window details (including number of divided lights) of the window on the 2nd floor of the 7th bay.
- Sign colors should be compatible with the colors of the building and its surroundings. Day-glo, light reflecting or fluorescent colors or materials are not allowed.
Aye: Faucher, Hunter Weir, Lackovic, Larsen, R. Mack
Absent: L. Mack, Stade
The 2 vacancies will potentially be seated by September 10th, 2013. The appointees are Chris Hartnett with MBJ Structural Design and Engineering, and Constance Vork, with Lakes Area Realty. A 3rd person has been selected for Commissioner Larsen’s seat. That appointment will not occur until December. (Dvorak)
The Chicago Skyscraper book launch is being held at the Handicraft Building tonight. (Faucher)
The meeting was adjourned at 5:18 p.m.
The next regular Heritage Preservation Commission meeting: September 10, 2013.
Heritage Preservation Commission decisions are final unless appealed.
Attention: If you want help translating this information, call: Hmong – Ceeb toom. Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais cov xov no rau koy dawb, hu 612.673.2800; Spanish – Atención. Si desea recibir asistencia gratuita para traducir esta información, llama 612.673.2700; Somali – Ogow. Haddii aad dooneyso in lagaa kaalmeeyo tarjamadda macluumaadkani oo lacag la’ aan wac 612.673.3500.
Last updated Aug 21, 2013