Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Agenda
Call to Order
1. 219 2nd Street North, Northwestern Glass Company, Mpls Warehouse Historic District (BZH #27769, Ward 7) (Hanauer)
This item was continued from the June 18 Heritage Preservation Commission meeting.
Alex Haecker, with AWH Architects, has submitted a Certificate of Appropriateness application on behalf of 219 LLC, the property owner. The Certificate of Appropriateness application is to allow for a rehabilitation of the Northwestern Glass Company Building that includes the following proposed work: enlarge window openings and install new windows on a secondary elevation, new signage, repointing of masonry, and paint removal on secondary elevation brick. The Northwestern Glass Company Building at 219 2nd Street North is a contributing structure to the Minneapolis Warehouse Historic District.
Recommended Motion: The Department of Community Planning and Economic Development recommends that the Heritage Preservation Commission continue the Certificate of Appropriateness for the property located at 219 2nd St N to the August 6, 2013 Heritage Preservation Commission meeting.
2. 3022 Hennepin Avenue, Granada Theater Landmark (Suburban World Theater) (BZH #27810, Ward 10) (Farrar)
DRJ Architecture, Inc., on behalf of Elion Acquisitions, has applied for a Certificate of Appropriateness application to allow for interior and exterior modifications to the existing Suburban World Theater/Granada Theater, located at 3022 Hennepin Avenue. The building is a local landmark and the designation includes both the interior and exterior of the building. The modifications would allow for the structure to be converted to a retail use.
Recommended Motion: The Department of Community Planning and Economic Development recommends that the Heritage Preservation Commission adopt the findings and approve the Certificate of Appropriateness to allow for interior and exterior modifications to the designated local landmark in order to convert the theater to a retail use on the property located at 3022 Hennepin Ave S subject to the following conditions:
- All workmanship must be completed in conformance with the Secretary of Interior Standards, see: http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/tps/standguide/ .
- The Applicant shall obtain all other necessary City approvals prior to the commencement of work.
- By ordinance, approvals are valid for a period of two years from the date of the decision unless required permits are obtained and the action approval is substantially begun and proceeds in a continuous basis toward completion. Upon written request and for good cause, the planning director may grant up to a one year extension if the request is made in writing no later than July 23, 2015.
- By ordinance, all approvals granted in this Certificate of Appropriateness shall remain in effect as long as all of the conditions and guarantees of such approvals are observed. Failure to comply with such conditions and guarantees shall constitute a violation of this Certificate of Appropriateness and may result in termination of the approval.
- Final plans shall comply with the Neighborhood Movie Theater Thematic District - Guidelines for Rehabilitation as noted within this report.
- The proposed windows and storefront entry on the front façade of the building shall match the historic storefront and the fenestration pattern as outlined in the original attached plans prepared by Liebenberg and Kaplan. Wrought iron screens (with a similar pattern to those that currently exist on the façade) shall be installed in front of the transom windows on the outside doors consistent with the original design.
- The Suburban World letters shall be retained on the marquee.
- Signage shall comply with the HPC’s Design Guidelines for On-Premise Signs & Awnings or it will require a separate Certificate of Appropriateness and approval from the HPC.
- All proposed exterior decorative lighting shall be a natural color (no reds, blues, etc. or changing colors), screened from view, reversible, and the conduit shall run through the mortar joints.
- Masonry cleaning and repointing on the building shall be undertaken in the following manner: hand-raking, not mechanical methods, shall be used to remove deteriorated mortar to avoid damaging the masonry; replacement mortar shall duplicate existing mortar in strength, composition, color, and texture; replacement mortar joints shall duplicate existing mortar joints in width and in joint profile; and cleaning shall be conducted using the gentlest method possible, starting with low pressure water and detergents, using natural bristle brushes.
The next regular Heritage Preservation Commission meeting: August 6, 2013
Heritage Preservation Commission decisions are final unless appealed.
Attention: The meeting site is wheelchair accessible: if you need other disability related accommodations, such as a sign language interpreter or materials in alternative format, please contact 612.673.3737 at least five days prior to the meeting.
Attention: If you want help translating this information, call: Hmong – Ceeb toom. Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais cov xov no rau koy dawb, hu 612.673.2800; Spanish – Atención. Si desea recibir asistencia gratuita para traducir esta información, llama 612.673.2700; Somali – Ogow. Haddii aad dooneyso in lagaa kaalmeeyo tarjamadda macluumaadkani oo lacag la’ aan wac 612.673.3500.
Last updated Jul 16, 2013