Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Actions
4:30 p.m., Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Room 317, City Hall
350 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1385
Commission Membership: Ms. Laura Faucher, Mr. Alex Haecker, Ms. Susan Hunter Weir, Ms. Ginny Lackovic, Mr. Chad Larsen, Ms. Tammy Lindberg, Ms. Linda Mack, Mr. Robert Mack, and Ms. Jody Tableporter
Committee Clerk: Diana Armstrong, 612.673.2615
Commissioner Hunter Weir was absent.
The meeting was called to order at 4:35 p.m.
Minutes were approved for the meeting held on January 15, 2013.
1. 1775-77 Colfax Avenue South, John Lind House (BZH #27588, Ward 7) (Holien)
Mark Nelson of David Heide Design Studio has applied for a Certificate of Appropriateness to allow for a one-story rear addition, modifications to windows, a raised masonry terrace, and a detached garage at 1775-77 Colfax Avenue South, a locally designated landmark.
Action: The Heritage Preservation Commission adopted staff findings and approved the Certificate of Appropriateness to allow for the replacement of a rear porch with a new rear addition and the construction of a detached garage at 1775-77 Colfax Avenue South subject to the following conditions:
1. The rear addition, windows and two entry doors, the terrace, and the detached garage is the only construction approved at this time.
2. By ordinance, approvals are valid for a period of two years from the date of the decision unless required permits are obtained and the action approval is substantially begun and proceeds in a continuous basis toward completion. Upon written request and for good cause, the planning director may grant up to a one year extension if the request is made in writing no later than January 29, 2015.
3. By ordinance, all approvals granted in this Certificate of Appropriateness shall remain in effect as long as all of the conditions and guarantees of such approvals are observed. Failure to comply with such conditions and guarantees shall constitute a violation of this Certificate of Appropriateness and may result in termination of the approval.
4. Community Planning and Economic Development staff shall review and approve the final plans and elevations prior to building permit issuance.
2. 4th Quarter 2012 Demolition Report (Smoley)
Receive and File
- Commissioner Lackovic volunteered to serve as one of the judges, and Chair Larsen volunteered to serve as MC, for the 2013 Preservation Awards scheduled for May 16 in the IMS building. (Lindberg)
- Discussion was held on a possible nomination of the Star Tribune building for local designation. (L. Mack)
- Ian Stade has been selected to fulfill the term left vacant by Kevin Kelley. All appointment and reappointments to the HPC are slated to go forward for approval to the February 14 Z&P meeting. (Dvorak)
The meeting was adjourned at 5:20 p.m.
The February 12, 2013, Heritage Preservation Commission meeting has been cancelled.
The next regular Heritage Preservation Commission meeting will be February 26, 2013.
The Chair reserves the right to limit discussion on Agenda items.
Heritage Preservation Commission decisions are final unless appealed.
Attention: The meeting site is wheelchair accessible: if you need other disability related accommodations, such as a sign language interpreter or materials in alternative format, please contact 612.673.3220 (673.2157) TTDY/VOICE at least five days prior to the meeting.
Attention: If you want help translating this information, call: Hmong – Ceeb toom. Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais cov xov no rau koy dawb, hu 612.673.2800; Spanish – Atención. Si desea recibir asistencia gratuita para traducir esta información, llama 612.673.2700; Somali – Ogow. Haddii aad dooneyso in lagaa kaalmeeyo tarjamadda macluumaadkani oo lacag la’ aan wac 612.673.3500.
Last updated Jan 30, 2013