Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Agenda
4:30 p.m., Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Room 317, City Hall
350 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1385
Commission Membership: Mr. Chad Larsen, Ms. Laura Faucher, Mr. Alex Haecker, Ms. Susan Hunter Weir, Mr. Kevin Kelley, Ms. Ginny Lackovic, Ms. Tammy Lindberg, Ms. Linda Mack, Mr. Robert Mack, and Ms. Jody Tableporter
Committee Clerk: Diana Armstrong, 612.673.2615
Call to Order
Petitions and Communications
Approval of Actions from the August 7, 2012, meeting
Approval of Agenda
· If you plan on speaking, please sign in on the sheet located in the hallway and state your name and address clearly into the microphone.
· Contact staff after the hearing if you have any questions regarding your project.
· Food and beverages are prohibited from the Council Chambers, and cell phones must be turned off during the proceedings.
Request for an Extension of Interim Protection for an in-progress landmark designation study for the property located at 2707 ½ East Lake Street, the Town Talk Diner.
Staff Recommendation: The Department of Community Planning and Economic Development – Planning Division recommends that the Heritage Preservation Commission adopt staff findings and approve the extension of interim protection for 2707 ½ East Lake Street for six months, or until March 1, 2013.
Lisa and Anderson Mitchell submitted an application for a Certificate of Appropriateness to allow for a rear addition to their residence at 2705 3rd Street North, one of seven concrete block houses that are designated as Minneapolis local landmarks.
Staff Recommendation: The Department of Community Planning and Economic Development – Planning Division recommends that the Heritage Preservation Commission adopt staff findings and approve the Certificate of Appropriateness to allow for a rear addition at 2705 3rd Street North subject to the following conditions:
- The rear addition is the only work approved at this time.
- The windows on the rear addition shall match the profile of those on the house.
- By ordinance, approvals are valid for a period of one year from the date of the decision unless required permits are obtained and the action approval is substantially begun and proceeds in a continuous basis toward completion. Upon written request and for good cause, the planning director may grant up to a one year extension if the request is made in writing no later than August 21, 2013.
- By ordinance, all approvals granted in this Certificate of Appropriateness shall remain in effect as long as all of the conditions and guarantees of such approvals are observed. Failure to comply with such conditions and guarantees shall constitute a violation of this Certificate of Appropriateness and may result in termination of the approval.
- CPED-Planning Staff shall review and approve the final plans and elevations prior to building permit issuance.
John Carlson of Trammell Crow Company has submitted a Demolition of Historic Resource application to allow for the demolition of the building formerly known as Regan Brothers Bakery located at 643 5th Street North.
Staff Recommendation: The Department of Community Planning and Economic Development – Planning Division recommends that the Heritage Preservation Commission adopt the above findings and approve the demolition application for the property located at 643 5th Street North with the following mitigation conditions:
- As mitigation for the demolition of the Regan Brothers Bakery building, a photographic recordation of the property shall be prepared and submitted to staff that is in accordance with the guidelines of the Minnesota Historic Property Record.
- As mitigation for the demolition of the Regan Brothers Bakery building, some components of the existing structure, including the front, yellow brick from the 1909 addition (if the addition is not retained) and cog and pulley wheels on the upper exterior level on the west side of the property, shall be incorporated into the new development.
- As mitigation for the demolition of the Regan Brothers Bakery building, the applicant shall incorporate interpretation of the bakery into the new development.
4. 301 Main Street SE, 100 3rd Avenue SE, 413 Main Street SE, St. Anthony Falls Historic District (Ward 3) (Schaffer) (Staff Report)
Plan for the protection and stabilization of the Red Tile Elevator, Warehouse I and the single grain silo located to the east of the Manildra Building during the demolition.
Staff Recommendation: The Department of Community Planning and Economic Development – Planning Division recommends that the Heritage Preservation Commission approve the plan for the protection and stabilization of the Red Tile Elevator, Warehouse I and the single grain silo located to the east of the Manildra Building during the demolition of the Manildra Building located at 301 Main Street SE, 100 3rd Avenue SE, and 413 Main Street SE.
Update on Phase III, Pioneers & Soldiers Fence.
6. 2225 East Lake of the Isles Parkway, Chas. Fredrick Keyes Landmark (Ward 10) (Pennucci) (Staff Report)
Concept Review for rehabilitation and a rear addition to the Charles Fredrick Keyes House.
Update on the St. Anthony Falls Historic District Design Guidelines.
The next regular Heritage Preservation Commission meeting: September 11, 2012.
The Chair reserves the right to limit discussion on Agenda items.
Heritage Preservation Commission decisions are final unless appealed.
Attention: The meeting site is wheelchair accessible: if you need other disability related accommodations, such as a sign language interpreter or materials in alternative format, please contact 612.673.3220 (673.2157) TTDY/VOICE at least five days prior to the meeting.
Attention: If you want help translating this information, call: Hmong – Ceeb toom. Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais cov xov no rau koy dawb, hu 612.673.2800; Spanish – Atención. Si desea recibir asistencia gratuita para traducir esta información, llama 612.673.2700; Somali – Ogow. Haddii aad dooneyso in lagaa kaalmeeyo tarjamadda macluumaadkani oo lacag la’ aan wac 612.673.3500.
Last updated Aug. 14, 2012