Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Development Review
Public Service Center Building
250 S. 4th St., Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-3000
Fax: (612) 370-1416
TTY: (612) 673-3300

Service Center Hours
Mon - Wed, Fri
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM 

Customers requiring Plan Review, Zoning, Preservation & Design (HPC) or Housing/Rental License services must sign-in by 3:30 PM 

Free Customer Parking!
Map and Parking Information 
Photo of Public Service Center Building

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.

Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.

Street Use Permits

A street use permit is a form of obstruction permit required for placing dumpsters and storage containers in the street or public right-of-way.

Who is eligible to obtain a Street Use Permit?

Residents may not obtain a street use permit. Only Minneapolis licensed Solid Waste Haulers, Wrecking Contractors or Storage Container companies may obtain Street Use Permits. 

If you are a Solid Waste Hauling or Wrecking Contractor wishing to be licensed in the City of Minneapolis you should contact the Licenses & Consumer Services Division at 311 or (612) 673-3000 for application forms.

How do I find a licensed contractor for Street Use Permits?

Homeowners or building contractors wishing to place a dumpster or storage container on the street in the City of Minneapolis should contact a solid waste hauler or storage container company from the approved list.

How do I apply for a Street Use Permit?

Licensed solid waste haulers, wrecking or storage container companies are eligible to pull street use permits online.  Or they can apply by fax, mail, or walk-in to the Development Review Customer Service Center. Properties on streets that include Public Works parking restrictions require Public Works approval before permit issuance.  This approval may take 1-2 business days.  Residents may not obtain a street use permit.

What are the requirements for a dumpster or storage container on the street?

When is permit not required for a dumpster or storage unit?

When is a Lane Obstruction Permit Needed?

A lane obstruction permit is required under the following circumstances:

  1. When you restrict access to the right-of-way (street or sidewalk) by placing equipment in the right-of-way.
  2. Temporary posting of "no parking" signs.
  3. Temporary hooding of parking meters.

All applicants are required to access the Minneapolis Lane Use website in order to obtain an obstruction permit.

Last updated Mar 25, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo