Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Development Review
Public Service Center Building
250 S. 4th St., Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-3000
Fax: (612) 370-1416
TTY: (612) 673-3300

Service Center Hours
Mon - Wed, Fri
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM 

Customers requiring Plan Review, Zoning, Preservation & Design (HPC) or Housing/Rental License services must sign-in by 3:30 PM 

Free Customer Parking!
Map and Parking Information 
Photo of Public Service Center Building

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.

Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.

Permits Overview

The Minneapolis City Council enacts ordinances to regulate construction, maintenance, and remodeling so that the buildings where we live, work, and play will be safe. The City uses permits to make sure that the work is done in compliance with those ordinances.

The City of Minneapolis enforces national and international codes adopted by the State of Minnesota. Codes are available online, see the links below, or in print form at Minnesota’s Bookstore.

Makeup of the State Building Code (PDF)

View State Building Code

State Electrical Code

State Plumbing Code

Building projects of any size may require that you obtain one or more permits before you can begin the work.

A list of many of the types of permits and the associated fees can be found in the Director’s Fee Schedule . For a specific permit fee schedule, click on one of the fee types to the left.

Before beginning a project, you should call Minneapolis 311 (outside the Minneapolis city limits call (612) 673-3000) to see if you need to obtain a permit. For projects using a contractor, the contractor is responsible for obtaining the permit.

Sometimes a site plan, a zoning site review, and an inspections plan review are required before a permit can be issued.

For more information, see the links at the left.

Last updated Sep 19, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo