Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Development Review
Public Service Center Building
250 S. 4th St., Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-3000
Fax: (612) 370-1416
TTY: (612) 673-3300

Service Center Hours
Mon - Wed, Fri
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM 

Customers requiring Plan Review, Zoning, Preservation & Design (HPC) or Housing/Rental License services must sign-in by 3:30 PM 

Free Customer Parking!
Map and Parking Information 
Photo of Public Service Center Building

Call 311 Call 3·1·1 for information about the City and City services.


Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.

Mechanical Permits

BTMB Permit Changes
The BTMB permit has been in use for over 1 year and a few challenges have become apparent that need to be addressed. The following changes will be effective as of November 10, 2014 for all applicants for BTMB permits:
1.       Under Level 1 work, the number of openings that require the applicant to go to Level 3 will be changed from ‘Greater than 4’ to ‘Greater than 6’.
2.       Under Level 3, additions will no longer be allowed to be done with a BTMB permit. Any time there is an increase in the square footage of a 1 or 2 family dwelling, applicants must use the BTMA application.
Permits for Temporary Heat
Due to concerns over potential public safety issues we are implementing new rules for temporary heat sources. Permits for temporary heat sources are applied for with a BTMA application. As of November 10, 2014 temporary heat sources will require a separate permit and shall not be included with other mechanical work being performed.   All applications for temporary heat will be reviewed and a list of requirements for the temporary heat sources will be attached to each permit issued.   Over the counter permits will no longer be issued for temporary heat.
Temporary Heat Requirements Document


Mechanical work includes: Heating, Air-Conditioning, Ventilation, Refrigeration, Gas Piping
There are two applications available for obtaining mechanical permits. The two application types are:
Mechanical BTMA – This application is used for all commercial, multi-family (3 or more dwelling units), and new 1 and 2 family dwelling work (including any increase in the square footage of a 1 or 2 family dwelling because of an addition). Application can be made by mail, fax, or in-person. Plans may be required.
Mechanical BTMA Fee Schedule
Mechanical BTMA Application
Mechanical BTMB – This application is used for existing 1 and 2 family dwellings. There are three levels of work that can be done, each with a set fee associated with the work being proposed. Refer to the BTMB application for a description of the work covered by each level. If the mechanical work being performed is part of a larger project that increases the square footage of the existing dwelling the applicant must use the BTMA application. Application can be made by mail, fax, in-person, or on-line
Mechanical BTMB Fee Schedule
Mechanical BTMB Application
Examples of mechanical work that requires a permit
·         Install a heating appliance such as a furnace, boiler, or space heater
·         Install ductwork, radiant heat, in-floor heat, or baseboard heat
·         Install gas piping for environmental heating appliances (work that includes the installation of gas appliances, other than those providing environmental heat, such as water heaters, fireplaces, ranges, ovens, or laundry dryers must be applied for with a plumbing permit (BTPA) application)
·         Install air-conditioning
·         Install refrigeration equipment
·         Install high pressure steam or ammonia systems
·         Install radon mitigation systems
This list is not intended as a complete list of work that requires a mechanical permit. For more information you may consult the Minnesota State Building Code Chapter 1346 or speak with a plan examiner to determine if the work you are proposing requires a permit. For a list of mechanical work that does not require a permit please refer to (“When Do I NOT Need A Permit”)
Additional Information
Most mechanical work is required to be done by a licensed professional. Licensing includes contractor licenses and certificates of competency.
(“Find a Licensed Contractor”)
A homeowner that occupies a single-family dwelling may qualify for an exemption to the licensing requirement.   If you meet the requirements of Minneapolis Code of Ordinances Section 89.30 you may be allowed to perform mechanical work as described in the ordinance.

Last updated Nov 5, 2014