Online Building, Plumbing and Mechanical permits for licensed contractors on 1 and 2 family dwelling unit properties. Online Street Use permits are available on all properties. Contractors can apply, pay and receive several simple (no plan or site review required permits using the web).
NOTICE OF ONLINE PERMITTING SYSTEM CHANGES
► Winter Update – We are pleased to announce that Street Use, Building, and Plumbing permits are now available online again. Thank you for your patience while we worked on the system.
► Mechanical online permits are still pending. We will notify our online users when the system becomes available for these users. Please check our website for updates and continue to fax applications to (612) 370-1416.
Permits may also be purchased in person at the Development Services Customer Service Center located at the Public Service Center, 250 S 4th Street, Room 300. If you have questions and are located within Minneapolis call 3-1-1, if you are outside of the City, call (612) 673-3000.
How do I get my ePermit User Account and Access to the System?
Pre-approved licensed contractors may access the online Street Use, Building, and Plumbing permitting applications 24/7.
New ePermit users can sign up here.
Existing ePermit users can login here. (Please note that you will use your same username from the old system. You should have received an email with instructions on how to reset your password and set up a security question the first time you log into the new system).
What permits are available?
Currently only Street Use, Building, and Plumbing permits are available online.
Street Use: Permits for 1 - 2 residential units are issued in 30 day increments only and may be renewed up to a total of 120 days. All other Street Use permits can be 30, 60, or 90 days.
- Carpentry Exterior: Repair/replace existing wood features w/o altering structural elements.
- Masonry Work: Repair/replace exterior brick veneer or chimney.
- Roofing: Remove existing, replace with approved system.
- Siding – Repair/Replace: Repair/replace existing siding w/o altering structural roof material and replace elements.
- Stucco/Plaster Repair/Replace: Repair or replacement of stucco or plaster down to and including the lathe.
- Window Replacement: Replace an existing window with like/kind – no change to the existing rough opening size.
- Combination: A combination of the above Scope Codes – normally requires a General Contractor’s license.
- Plumbing Fixtures
- Water Heater – Replace: Replace existing gas water heater with a new gas water heater. The replacement of an electric water heater requires both electrical and plumbing permits.
- Water Meter: Replace or relocate an existing water meter .
- Gas Meter: Replace or relocate an existing gas meter.
- Gas Fixtures – Fireplace, Stove, Dryer: Replace or install a gas fireplace, stove or dryer.
The following online permits are pending.
- Level 1: Includes Miscellaneous HVAC Work - No Burners
a. Radiation piping for space heating
b. Supplies & returns 6 openings or less (greater that 6 openings go to level 3)
c. Fresh air intake, air cleaner, humidifier, venting, fans, gas piping (heating systems only), radon mitigation and other accessories.
d. Air conditioner add-on or replacement
e. Solid fuel heating devices (wood, pellets, etc.)
- Level 2: Includes any Level 1 work and replacement of boilers/furnace
a. Replace boiler plus incidental piping
b. Replace furnace only with or without A/C - plenum included (no duct work beyond plenum)
c. Add or replace space heating unit
- Level 3: Includes any Level 1 or 2 work and entire system replacement
a. Remove existing system and install new (boiler or forced air system)
b. Install a new system to serve an existing non-conditioned space
How do I pay?
You will be able to make credit card payments online.
What computer set-up do I need?
The following computer capabilities are required:
- Access to the Internet
- A valid e-mail address
- A Web Browser: Internet Explorer Version 9 or later, Firefox Version 24 or later, Safari or Google Chrome
What is the refund Policy?
Last updated Nov 6, 2017