Note: Many projects require more than one permit. To determine which permits you need for your project, call Minneapolis 311 (if outside the Minneapolis city limits call (612) 673-3000).
Note: Building permit fees are based upon the valuation of the job including labor and materials. If the homeowner is completing their own work, the valuation will be calculated using the cost of materials X two (2).
A building permit is required:
- For all work not specifically exempt from the building code. This applies to residents, contractors, and commercial owners. Even if you are a homeowner, you need a permit to work on your own home.
- When work is structural in nature, such as adding or replacing beams/posts/joists/rafters.
When a building permit is issued, at least one inspection is required before the work can be approved.
Some of the projects for which a building permit is not required are:
- For projects where only painting, wallpapering, tiling, countertops, carpeting, and similar finish work are being done.
- NOTE: permits are required for installing Flooring in condominiums, co-ops, and apartments (pdf)
- For fences under six feet tall.
Projects requiring a building permit:
- Construction of New One or Two Family Home
- Retaining walls over four feet in height
- Replacement doors/windows
- Decks over 30" high, attached or not attached to the structure.
- Any deck attached to the structure regardless of height.
- Stairs - exterior/interior
- Flooring in condominiums, co-ops, and apartments
- Repair or replacement of brick/stone facades
- Replacement of garage door(s)
- Sheds/greenhouses/utility buildings/gazebos over 120 square feet
- Swimming pools 24 inches deep and over 150 square feet in area
- Kitchen and bath remodels
- Conversion of attic to habitable space or sleeping quarters
- Conversion of basement to habitable space or sleeping quarters
- Conversion of single family homes to multiple dwelling units
- Increase/decrease in the number of dwelling units
- Remodeling/demolition of interiors
- Demolition of buildings including garages over 1,000 square feet in floor area
- Fences over six feet in height
- above list covers most common building projects, if your project is not listed call (612) 673-3000 for more information.
As an owner of a property, you can apply for a building permit for work that you intend to do yourself. You do not need a license but you will be required to show a valid photo id.
As an owner of property you must hold a valid State of Minnesota Residential Building Contractor License or Residential Remodeler License if you build or improve more than one property within any 24-month period.
A contractor must hold either a City of Minneapolis Residential Specialty Contractor License or one of the following State of Minnesota licenses to receive a building permit for residential construction.
- Residential Building Contractor License
- Residential Remodeler License
- Residential Roofer
The contractor must provide proof of licensure at the time they apply for a permit.
Last updated Mar. 31, 2014