Mayor’s Office Seeks Communications Intern
The Office of Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak is looking for college or graduate student interns to support media relations and external communications efforts. Part-time to full-time opportunities are available with flexible schedules. A great opportunity to gain work experience in a fast-paced and exciting public office working to make Minneapolis a better city.
• Draft and edit a wide variety of written material (including, but not limited to, fact sheets, news releases, text for web pages, letters to newspaper editors, memoranda, and commentary articles).
• Maintain media contact lists.
• Track media coverage.
• Pitch stories to reporters.
• Create and update pages on our website.
• Produce multimedia content, including photos and videos.
• Attend and help with logistics for various meetings and events.
• Conduct research, including online, about issues and programs.
• Perform other communications functions as needed.
• Assist other staff with their work on an occasional basis.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of computer software and the operation of office equipment.
• Ability to meet and deal with the public in a professional and courteous manner.
• Knowledge of and the ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, and other software programs.
• Ability to work independently, handling multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Sophomore, Junior or Senior in college.
• Current or past coursework in political science, media and communications, journalism, or public relations.
• Experience and/or applicable education in media relations.
• Interest in and basic knowledge of local, state and national politics.
• Interest in future career in politics, journalism, or public relations.
Interested candidates should submit a brief letter of interest along with a resume (via email preferred). Candidates who meet education and skill expectations will be contacted for a phone interview and an in-person interview. The city of Minneapolis reserves the right to invite only the top qualified candidates. Applicants are strongly encouraged to seek college credit for their internship.
Dates of Internship: Ongoing
Contact: Jeremy Hanson, Communications Director, Office of Mayor R.T. Rybak
Phone: (612) 673-2785
Email Address: email@example.com
Published Aug. 24, 2009