- Since 2008, Minneapolis’ Youth Violence Prevention initiative has, among other results, helped reduce the number of incidents involving youth and guns by 66 percent and the number of youth injured by guns by 41 percent.
- Minneapolis police, under the leadership of Chief Harteau and former Chief Tim Dolan, place a high priority on solving gun crime and answering the question, “Where did the gun come from?” and “Who is arming our kids?”
- Minneapolis Police partner closely with the offices of Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman and U.S. Attorney B. Todd Jones to bring the most violent gun offenders to justice and work to ensure that they receive the harshest penalties possible.
- Mayor Rybak is spearheading an initiative among many U.S. mayors to look into using cities’ purchasing power of guns and ammunition as a way to enlist gun and ammunition manufacturers in the fight to reduce gun violence.
- Mayor Rybak recently co-hosted, with Mayor Tom Barrett of Milwaukee, a first-of-its-kind Regional Gun Summit in Minneapolis, which brought together around 100
- Mayor Rybak is a longtime member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
Published Feb. 4, 2013